This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 and Speed Sensor setup issues

Former Member
Former Member
what is the proper way to get the magnetless speed sensor to work correctly?
I installed the sensor, my Edge 25 detects it right way, but it doesnt seem to do anything. All the time while riding in the forest my speed will drop to 0.0, and my mileage is way off at the end. If I lift the front of my bike and spin the tire it doesnt display any speed numbers.

My buddy has a 520 with the same sensor and his works perfect. If he spins his front tire the speed shows up and at the end of a ride he might show "12.2 miles" where as my unit will show "6.6miles".

Any tips or suggestions? I'm new to all this not sure what is wrong. Do I need to ride in the streets for a bit so the unit can calibrate properly? I dont see an option on the Edge 25 to manually put in tire size like the 520 has.
  • Here you go. There are some long W-E segments on FM 1093 and long N-S segment on Bois D'Arc. I was helping a friend who was suffering, so I was doing nothing but sitting up front spinning and riding straight down the road so she could follow.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1010805482

Yep, SOSDD. Just tested it. Indoor mode, spin the wheel and it works fine. Turn indoor mode off and spin it, nothing.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Here you go. There are some long W-E segments on FM 1093 and long N-S segment on Bois D'Arc. I was helping a friend who was suffering, so I was doing nothing but sitting up front spinning and riding straight down the road so she could follow.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1010805482

Yep, SOSDD. Just tested it. Indoor mode, spin the wheel and it works fine. Turn indoor mode off and spin it, nothing.

Thank you for providing the link to the activity. We have created a support case for this issue to try and determine why the Edge 25 is not using the Speed Sensor when the GPS is turned on.

Got your email, thanks. Will get folder to you tomorrow.
  • Former Member
    Got your email, thanks. Will get folder to you tomorrow.

Thanks for getting that to us. Also, do you happen to recall on that ride that you share with us, or any other ride, if you noticed the Edge 25 giving you a message indicating that the speed sensor was calibrated?
  • Hey orna05,

We are looking to get some information regarding your experience with the speed sensors. If you could please provide the following information:

Did you get speed from your sensor prior to updating to SW version 3.30?
    Have you had a chance to calibrate the sensor by riding in a straight line for at least a mile?
    If you have ridden in a straight line for a mile, and the speed sensor still is not calibrating, can your provide links to those activities?

Hi,
    I updated the Garmin with 3.0 firmware already for the first ride. No calibration message showed ever, just info about the sensor connected.
    Ridden some kilometers now (also straight ones :cool:) but as said speed is always coming from GPS.
    Here some example rides with speed sensor installed:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1040900343
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1032473174

Looking forward to have some news about the issue.
    Thanks
  • Thanks for getting that to us. Also, do you happen to recall on that ride that you share with us, or any other ride, if you noticed the Edge 25 giving you a message indicating that the speed sensor was calibrated?

Negative. Same as orna05. I get speed sensor connected but that's it. I'm using auto pause. Wondering if that has anything to do with it, may test this weekend.
  • Former Member
    orna05 and CJTAMU,

Thank you for the update. I will be able to update the case with the information that was provided. If there are any changes or updates I will be able to post them in this thread.
  • Zip file sent.

Update. Turning off auto pause makes no difference.
  • Former Member
    Any progress on this?

The engineering team is working on this issue, unfortunately I don't have a time frame for when it will be fixed, but it is actively being worked on.