This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 and Speed Sensor setup issues

Former Member
Former Member
what is the proper way to get the magnetless speed sensor to work correctly?
I installed the sensor, my Edge 25 detects it right way, but it doesnt seem to do anything. All the time while riding in the forest my speed will drop to 0.0, and my mileage is way off at the end. If I lift the front of my bike and spin the tire it doesnt display any speed numbers.

My buddy has a 520 with the same sensor and his works perfect. If he spins his front tire the speed shows up and at the end of a ride he might show "12.2 miles" where as my unit will show "6.6miles".

Any tips or suggestions? I'm new to all this not sure what is wrong. Do I need to ride in the streets for a bit so the unit can calibrate properly? I dont see an option on the Edge 25 to manually put in tire size like the 520 has.
  • Bontrager speed sensor

If I knew this would not have bought a combo speed sensor. Needs fixing now as any loss in signal seems to make the device fail. Come on , sort it out
  • 3.30 Pulled

OK I just called Garmin and they have told me that version 3.30 has been pulled from Garmin Express and version 3.00 is now the "Official" supported version being pushed out on Garmin Express.

I hope they finally get it right when they release the next version. Hopefully it will be version 4.00 which has a toggle for 1 second sampling or smart sampling. And the speed sensor working flawlessly!

Daniel
  • OK I just called Garmin and they have told me that version 3.30 has been pulled from Garmin Express and version 3.00 is now the "Official" supported version being pushed out on Garmin Express.

I hope they finally get it right when they release the next version. Hopefully it will be version 4.00 which has a toggle for 1 second sampling or smart sampling. And the speed sensor working flawlessly!

Daniel

We apologize for any confusion on the part of Garmin Product Support but 3.30 was not pulled and remains the current version of software for the Edge 25.
  • We apologize for any confusion on the part of Garmin Product Support but 3.30 was not pulled and remains the current version of software for the Edge 25.

It does loose the sensors connection though from time to time in the middle of activity recording. It's clearly visible on heart rate's indicator, which starts showing "--" out of sudden. Then, when I stop and save the activity and start another activity, it immediately re-connects the HR strap again and everything is fine.

Hope you're aware of it and will fix it eventually. This did not happen with previous firmware, it must be somehow related to sensor stack changes introduced with the 3.30. Maybe sensor data receivers run out of memory or crash for whatever reason at certain point in time and stop receiving the data and starting new activity will restart them.

And no, my HR battery is fresh and HR strap signal recorded on mobile phone in parallel does not show any interruption.
  • Cyclocross and Indoor Track

sorry guys, I still don't get it.

I am using a Garmin Edge 25 on my cyclocross bike (without speed and cadence sensor) and on my track bike (with speed and Cadence sensor). For the later bike I use the ride option 'Use Indoors', because there is no GPS Signal in our roofed velodrome.

As far as i understand from the discussion above the Edge 25 is able to autocalibrate the wheels size, if the bike is ridden on a straight line for a mile or more by comparing the GPS signal with the speed sensor. But I have never ridden my bike outside (with GPS) and speed sensor at the same time. Still the Garmin Edge 25 is showing me a quite a realistic speed when I cycle indoors with the speed sensor. So there must be a default wheel size.

If I am right, does anybody know the default wheel size? If this does not fit with my wheel, the only way to calibrate the wheel is to ride my track bike outdoors, right? And after I have done this, do I need to keep the history of this ride on the computer?

I appreciate the effort of Garmin to produce user friendly and simple devices. But for my purposes a simple data field to enter the wheel size would be very helpful. Many thanks for your help!
  • Most Edge units default to 2096 mm
  • sorry guys, I still don't get it.

I am using a Garmin Edge 25 on my cyclocross bike (without speed and cadence sensor) and on my track bike (with speed and Cadence sensor). For the later bike I use the ride option 'Use Indoors', because there is no GPS Signal in our roofed velodrome.

As far as i understand from the discussion above the Edge 25 is able to autocalibrate the wheels size, if the bike is ridden on a straight line for a mile or more by comparing the GPS signal with the speed sensor. But I have never ridden my bike outside (with GPS) and speed sensor at the same time. Still the Garmin Edge 25 is showing me a quite a realistic speed when I cycle indoors with the speed sensor. So there must be a default wheel size.

If I am right, does anybody know the default wheel size? If this does not fit with my wheel, the only way to calibrate the wheel is to ride my track bike outdoors, right? And after I have done this, do I need to keep the history of this ride on the computer?

I appreciate the effort of Garmin to produce user friendly and simple devices. But for my purposes a simple data field to enter the wheel size would be very helpful. Many thanks for your help!

I have no experience with indoor mode, but if you have never ridden the bike with enabled GPS and you still get speed and distance readings with speed sensor, then there must be some default circumference value. It's reasonable to expect it will be the most common size of the road bike wheel, because I assume those are the most frequently run indoors on trainers and Garmin knows that. As far as I know, it's not manually configurable.

When I reset and re-pair my speed sensor and then I ride my bike outside with GPS on, I get a bit erratic speed readings the first mile and then I get a pop-up message on Edge's display saying that speed sensor was calibrated. I believe the detected circumference value is stored inside Edge unit together with the speed sensor pairing info. So if you have multiple bikes and each has it's own speed sensor, then you can only calibrate each sensor once and then you can move the Edge unit between bikes and you always get correct circumference as it's associated with that particular speed sensor. But then if you reset the sensor pairing, you have to calibrate the sensor again after new pairing. Hope it's not too confusing.
  • Most Edge units default to 2096 mm
    That would fit perfectly for my Continental Sonderklasse 23mm tubular :o:o
    Many thanks for your answers! If the wheel circumference is saved for each specific Speed sensor, that would be quite a clever solution. Maybe I will ride my track bike outdoor for a view miles and hope I will get that pop-up message.
  • I would need to look at an Edge 25, but on other Edge models the wheel size is an attribute of the sensor, so I don't see why it would be different on the Edge 25. The Edge 25 has no option to manual set the wheel size, it is automatically configured to continually monitor and potentially change the wheel size based on the GPS data it is processing. If the GPS is off then the wheel size will not change.
  • I have ver. 3.30 and a Wahoo Blue S/C sensor
    Did two straight runs over 1 mile. With bike on a work stand and GPS enabled outdoors I get zero speed and zero distance on my Edge 25 while hand cranking pedals. With the Edge 25 on indoor mode I get speed/distance so a wheel diameter is being used to determine speed.

so...

Is the Edge 25 using the speed sensor at all with the GPS enabled?
    Can I verify the wheel size multiple number used in the Edge 25 files?

appreciate your response...