This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 Cold Weather Performance

Today’s ride was cold - around 11 F (-12 C). My Edge 130 worked fine for the first 30 minutes and then started automatically shutting down. I could restart it (once I noticed it had shut down), and when it restarted it knew I was still in the middle of a ride, but no data was saved between shutting down and restarting. Once restarted it would collect data for a minute or so before shutting down again. After futzing with it a number of times I gave up and resorted to the Strava app on my phone which worked fine (phone was in my inside coat pocket).

Garmin’s specs list the temp range of the 130 to be -4F to 140F (https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge130/EN-US/GUID-19267AC7-DD98-4F6A-9761-AF88319B338F.html), so I would expect it to work normally at the temp of today’s ride. I suppose I could ride with it in my pocket to stay warm, but that shouldn’t be necessary given Garmin’s temp specs.

Has as anyone experienced anything similar on your device? Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening again?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • I wished I ignored doing the update for a longer time but as you mentioned then the device keeps on notifying that a new FW is available to install.
  • it goes off in less than 30 minutes of activity if used with temperatures around 0 °.
    returned to amazon
  • hulster Krispie76 Grins3katze JohnO1516 This forum seems to have gone off-topic. LorenzoMontano 's device went off after 30 minutes at zero degrees Celsius. This is almost certainly a battery fault. Batteries do perform less well at lower temperatures, say, 80% of optimum at zero degrees Celsius. That is, if Garmin say that on an Edge 130 at 20 degrees you should get 10 hours with GPS+Glonass, 2 devices and navigation on, then at zero degrees you should expect 8 hours, not 0.5.

The issue of whether firmware 3.30 has reduced battery performance matters is separate. It's quite possibly true as well but it would be an odd bug if it's not affecting everybody it at all temps; it would likely be in the region of a few percent, perhaps even as much as the 50% that Krispie saw, which is more noticeable in the winter, but not the dramatic failure that Lorenzo saw. He's quite right to return his device under guarantee.
  • FW 3.20 has been released early January, at the same time the temperature went down. We all noticed reduced battery performances. Depending on how much you are riding, it was just difficult to sort this out. Was the reduced battery time was caused by the cold weather or by the new FW 3.20. This is why this thread is a bit confusing.

After some analysis, I am convinced that the 3.20 FW update reduced battery lifetime. I was on a biking week in Finale Ligure (Italy) with temperatures between 8-15°C. I rode 35h between 29.12.2018 & 05.01.2019. I have updated to the new FW on January 2[SUP]nd[/SUP].

The days after the update I started to experiences battery life problems but as well the temperature wend down a bit (0-8°C). Do you want to open a new thread for “battery life reduced after 3.20 FW update?”
  • Just adding my observations to thread: I've noticed on my last couple rides which were ~3deg C and 2:00-4:00hrs long, battery gauge would indicate 20% at end of ride but would move back up to 60 or 80% when I restarted it later and device had warmed back up to room temperature.
  • Hi Cranxy

I'm experiencing the same behavior but after the device has warmed back up if you go again for a ride @ +/-0C it will drop very fast back and below 20%.

Currently the temperature in my Area (Berlin,DE) moved up to 5-12°C and I see that the battery time is going up.

• Agree, my 130 powered off after cca 4 hours. That is exactly half of the 9 hours what I had with FW3.00.
    I am using gps+glonass and have speed and cadence sensors connected and I have always livetrack running. Temperature outside is currently +1C.
  • Since two weeks temperatures are higher now (10-15C) and it seems improved. After a 3 hours ride I have still three battery bars left but I am a bit afraid to use it for another ride and for safety I just charge it again.
  • Any update on this battery problem ? i'm not able to ride for more than 5 hours and it will become really bad as the day and the ride session become longer :) Dear garmin support, any clue about a resolution of this problem in the future release software version or do i need to sell it ?
  • Well, here we are a year later and the same thing happened today on my first cold ride of the season.  It was around 0 deg C and the unit shut off after about 40 minutes.  Upon restarting it would last about a minute then shut off again.

Very frustrating, especially since there has been no feedback on this forum from our friends at Garmin (with whom I have spent a lot of money).

I would love to hear some advice about how to make the 130 last in cold weather.  Otherwise I’ll have to try my 1030 (which I don’t like using on MTB rides) or the Strava app on my watch or phone.

Garmin?