This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 130 battery life

I did my first ~3.5 hour ride with the Edge 130. I started with full battery and it was at 50% afterwards. Promised are 15h. Doesn't add up for me!

Are there any settings that could save battery consumption? I switched on GPS only. Anything else that would help?
  • The battery life on my Edge 130 is, in a word, dismal. I'm not using the backlight, I have GPS + Glonass set, and a heart meter, and speed/cadence sensors (all Garmin branded). Just 2 weeks ago I did a 90 mile ride and the unit was powered up for 6+ hours with some battery life left at the end. Since then, the unit has twice died after 2.5 - 3 hours of up time. I haven't changed any settings. I did receive a low battery warning for the speed sensor and replaced that battery.

• I'm getting that exact same issue. The 130 is dying after about 2.5 hours, with or without phone linked via BT. GPS + Glonass, 3 sensors: speed, cadence, HR - all Garmin sensors.

WTH?!?

• The times it's died at 2.5 hours the temp was around freezing or a few degrees above. Seriously? Using the 130 at that temp will reduce battery life by more than half??

• My experience (I’ve got a 130 bought in April 2019, which I acquired second hand in mid-November) is that yes - not even close to 15 hours.

I need to do more detailed experiments but mine ran out of battery today on a ride. I last charged it 5-6 days ago IIRC and during that time about 5 hours in use. Probably 2-3 hours of those paired with a Bluetooth HRM. 

I also wonder if it was more than a coincidence that it died when temperatures were down at 2-3C

The gauge is inaccurate ... sometimes it actually goes up in charge! 

I reckon the device is not great at holding charge when off and probably needs charging up at least twice a week even if only doing 5-6 hours of use a week ...

• Update: I did some careful measurement

Charged during Friday night, used it 3 hours on Saturday, used it an hour today (Monday), and it died. So 50 hours (?) elapsed and only about 4 hours in use, between the need for charging ... hmmm. It was about 0-1C which doesn't help but still ...

• I charged mine 2 weeks ago, after my last ride.

Started it up yesterday in diagnostic mode* and it still showed 100%

Took if for a 4 1/2 hr ride and it stil showed 63%. Average temp was 18C.

So Ive got a very good battery, somehow use a lot less energy, or the temperature plays a crucial role.

I use a Ant+ HR sensor, BT phone connection and GPS+Glonass. Backlight is on low setting and minimum time (15s?) FW v3.50.

*In diag mode (startup with the 2 bottom buttons pushed in) you can read battery voltage and  charge (for what its worth).

• Thanks for the tip on diag mode! Interesting … when I go to that mode it says battery is '4.16' and '92' which I guess means voltage of 4.16v and 92% charged? WHat was interesting is that in non-diag mode that 92 is shown as just 3 bars. The 92 was after a full charge between 10am and 5pm today, and then a 45 min ride home in 3C. Tomorrow morning I will try diag mode again and see how much it loses over 12 hours or so while switched off.

• BTW - I turned off phone pairing earlier today too, to see if it makes much difference. If it does - hmmm seems a shame since a slick feature of the 130 is supposed to be the phone notifications ... part of me wonders if ...the 130 is a 'budget' device with most features of the more expensive devices ... but battery life is the key difference (especially given how small the unit is ... I guess the battery is small too).

• I use a BT HR sensor, and plain GPS . Backlight is (now) on low setting and minimum time (10s) FW v3.50.

• I wonder if BT sensors interfere with BT phone connection.

I also suspect that Garmin Connect needs (4G or wifi) coverage to function. Function between Edge and phone that is, also for simple/basic functions.

Cellphone coverage is fluctuating in the mountains I ride, so I use GC only when I'm at home.

As soon as my 130 dies on me because of low temperature, I'll sell it to someone in the tropics and buy a Bryton 420.