This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Course points and navigation points both on a screen

With SW version 9.0 (I'm not sure if previous versions had this too) it is possible to activate a screen with Course points combined with the navigation. This can be activated with an option in the Settings option of the Course menu for a specific course. (Load the saved course and select the Settings option)

When creating a course with Garmin Connect, you can add a Course point (like Water or other POI). After transferring this course it becomes a saved course on my Edge 1030.

If you activate the Course Points option in the Saved Course on the Edge it does not show only the added Course point but also the navigation points (as being Cours points). You get a very long list of Course points. I was used to see only the created course points and the distance to them. Now I have to scroll through all the course/navigation points before I see the added course point.

I like the option to activate the Course Points screen, but I want the option to see only added course points and not the navigation points.

Is there a way to see only my added course points?

• I agree, this is a problem. Or add options to control these different type of course points (user created vs turn guidance)

• It is the same problem that I wrote about the 530.
    forums.garmin.com/.../has-the-navigating-by-course-points-been-removed

I hope that navigation by course point and display next course point name on a data field are back.

• @Garmin-Matthew Can this issue be fixed with the next release (or at least before the summer)? It is pretty annoying not to have the User Created course points anymore when navigating.

• I've tested this with Beta version 9.31 and it works again.

After transferring a course from Garmin Connect to my Edge 1030, the course point list contains only my own user course points. Also the data field distance to next course point shows the correct distance to the first upcoming user course point (when you are on course).

Although it is not mentioned in the fixed list, it has been fixed with this Beta version. So I assume it will be fixed in the next official release.

I'm happy I can use the course points again.

• The fix was in Garmin Connect not on the Edge.

• OK I figured it out on my Edge 1030, riding routes which I design using ridewithGPS.

1) When I create a route in ridewithgps, ridewithgps automatically creates many cues by default.

2) I then add my own custom cues - creating yet more cues.

3) I upload the route directly using the Garmin new files folder.  This uploads the ridewithGPS route as a Garmin Course, and it uploads ALL the cues into "Course Points".

4) Garmin, then, adds its own 'Navigation Points' - to facilitate 'turn-by-turn' navigation.

At this point, I have a course with many Nav Points and many Course Points.  I was confused by the difference between these two similar sets of points, and even more confused by having my own custom cues/course points embedded deep within ridewithgps's default cues/course points.  

Nav points and course points behave quite differently on the Edge 1030.

1) Course points are shown on the Garmin map as little icons (e.g., turn right, valley, summit, etc., depending on how I define the cue back on ridewithGPS).  The nav points are not explicitly shown on the map.

2) The course point icon also displays next to the 'Crs. Pt. Disc. field which can be configured to show on the map and/or  on a data screen.

3) The nav points are used to display upcoming turns, etc., on Garmin's turn-by-turn navigation when turn-by-turn navigation is enabled.

4) The distance to the next nav point is displayed by the 'Dist. to Next' data field.  The distance to the next course point is displayed by the 'Crs. Pt. Dist.' field.  

5)  When riding a course on the Edge 1030, course points can be shown or hidden using the Course Points switch on the Settings page for the course.  Turn-by-turn navigation associated with the nav points cannot be turned on/off for individual courses.  TBT nav can be dis/enabled for ALL courses vie the 'Turn Guidance' switch found on the Course Options page displayed from the bottom of the list of all courses.

6) The nav points are displayed in the long list of nav points when tapping the  the distance to next nav point field on a map.  The course points are NOT shown in this list.

• The course points are in the track file (fit or tcx) exported from RWGPS.

The course points are shown as a list in the course point page.

=======================

"Turn guidance" is calculated from the track (the course points are not involved in this at all).

Turn guidance produces a second track and a list of turn instructions. This list can be seems as a separate set of things equivalent to course points (but they are used and displayed very differently than regular course points).

You can see the "turn guidance" list by clicking on the text at the top of the map page.

The unit calculates the secondary route by "walking" the loaded track and picking the roads/paths on the installed map the track appears to follow.

You can't get turn guidance without an installed map. "Course points" have nothing to do with the maps on the device.

========================

The original purpose of course points was to provide turn instructions on units that can't calculate "turn guidance" (units like the 500/510). They can also be used when the track doesn't follow roads/paths on the map installed on the device.

• Very helpful - thanks!

• The track from the file is displayed as magenta with black borders.

The second track calculated for "turn guidance" is displayed as light magenta with darker magenta borders.

The second track line is wider than the primary track line.

That this is going on is hard to see on a small screen unless there's a separation like in this image (from an 800).

When you have the device calculate a route (without using a course), you just get the "turn guidance" line.