This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 1030 Public Beta 7.85 Now Available

A new Beta software for the Edge 1030 has been released. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 7.50 to 7.85:

• Training Load Focus. Low Aerobic, High Aerobic, and Anaerobic stats are tracked over a 4 week window and the user should be able to track what needs to be focused on.
  • Two-way setting sync. Changes to some settings made on the Edge (zones, user profile, etc) will now be uploaded to Garmin Connect.
  • Heat/Altitude Acclimation. Shows user's acclimation to different altitudes and hot/humid environments.
  • ClimbPro. See upcoming climbs while riding a course so you can prepare for needed effort
  • Power Curve tracking has been added to the My Stats menu.
  • Nutrition/Hydration tracking alerts
  • Training Plan Review Page Improvements
  • Workout Comparison Graph. Provides live feedback while executing a workout.
  • Widget Management. Disable and re-order items in the widget loop
  • Bike Theft Alarm*. While armed, get alerted when your Edge device moves.
  • Find My Edge*. Help find a misplaced Edge by making it beep or showing its last known location on your phone.
  • Grit/Flow**
  • Jump Metrics**
  • Added a new Popular data field category and generally improved the data field category order
  • Updated screen creation and editing flow (applies to eBike/STEPS, Lap Summary, Segment, and Data Screen)
  • Ability to swap data fields while in the timer loop on long press instead of edit only (additional tap required)
  • Updated battery icon to be more visible in some places
  • Incident detection setting is now active per profile instead of globally
  • Added ability to hide data screens without deleting them
  • Reordered settings to match the Edge 830, mainly splitting the growing number of settings into Safety & Tracking (Incident Detection, Get Assistance, Contacts, GroupTrack, Bike Alarm) and Connected Features (Phone, WiFi, Device Transfers)
  • Additional small changes and improvements

* Complete functionality requires an upcoming Garmin Connect Mobile release

** Mountain Bike Profile Only

• Check your Edge and phone pair correctly. Mine was doing a BT connection after the update but the GCM app was not communicating with the edge. I have redone the paring process and now all seems to work. All the features you mention require a working paring with the phone.

• My 1030 also lost the phone connection with the update. I repaired it and it found the Iphone immediately. I now see that it pairs with the Iphone even with GCM not running which it used to do before the version 7 firmware update.

Everything seems to be working fine after two rides. I'm surprised that the Livetrack now works even with autostart.

Very impressed with the update. Garmin may have finally decided to commit more time into creating updates that don't break other features that are working fine.

• Something a bit weird seemed to happen with my Grade data field yesterday. I only noticed it when I was near the end of my ride & haven't had chance to verify it yet as it's grim outside today

I was following a course on a fairly level section of road, riding at around 30Km/h & noticed the Grade field dropping from 0% to -5% before returning to 0% over maybe 20 - 30 seconds. I thought nothing of it at first but when I looked at the elevation profile for my course I noticed an anomaly in the profile, where there was a sharp dip of around 30 - 40m before the profile levelled out again, which seemed to coincide with the drop in the Grade I'd seen.

It was almost as though the Grade data field was using the course elevation data to somehow provide the Grade. My understanding was that with the 1030 having a barometric altimeter it used the altimeter/distance to calculate the Grade. I thought I'd see if anyone else has seen any anomalies like this or if Garmin has changed how the grade is calculated on the 1030

• 7.85 has many little niceties. Here are a few I noticed today

- CimbPro is cool of course. 

- On the map, the + and - to zoom are smaller and nicer looking

- the graphical HR and Power field now are coloured according to the zone you are it. makes this graph much more useful 

- you can have the elevation profile on the map screen as a 3rd field. 

- the post ride summary has more information and is nicer looking

- on the map and elevation screens the scales are more readable than before

It is good to see that Garmin is making use of the higher resolution screens on the 1030 (and 830 530) Before they were probably limited by the need to support older devices with lower res screens. Hope they will do more tweaking like this.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to rob-tech

Rob-tech, I have started the info with “V7.85”.

so I bet they understood that I’ve found an issue with the newest beta version.

I don’t need any help as I can rollback anytime to V7.50.

we test it for them and we should inform the errors.. that’s what I did, but thanks for your info as it could be a miss understanding by me Wink

• thanks for giving us the additional features for free - all seem to work fine. Thanks again, much appreciated.

• My 1030 has a connection to gcm app. It also syncs with the app, so I expect the pairing is not a problem.

do you have live segments working?

regarding the segment explorer widget: I am able to download a segment, but the 1030 indicates that you can ride it after ending the current activity. This makes the segment explorer useless. You want to download and immediately ride a nearby segment during an active activity. This was possible in earlier versions (up to version 6.x?/7.00; from 7.00 to 7.50 the segment explorer was not working at all - empty screen; in 7.50 the behavior is the same as in 7.85 - I already made a report to Garmin on the behavior in version 7.50 being different than before).

• > you can have the elevation profile on the map screen as a 3rd field

Can you share a screenshot? I'm curious :P

• Light widget had disappeared for me also, re-installed and ok now

• Today I noticed that with 7.85 installed, the 1030 no longer has a light network widget. This used to work fine in previous firmwares with the RTL 510. Has anyone else seen loss of the widget?