This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is the Garmin Swim 2 the ideal swimming watch?

I mean, the model is obviously built for swimmers, but does it function properly? I've come across some bad viewpoints. I'm not a pro, but because I swim... Is it worthwhile to purchase this device rather than another Garmin model? Is it also capable of recognising different swimming styles?

• With breaststroke, after pushing away, I swim always and regularly about 8  - 10 meters under water with an additional push off under the water, I make correct turns - despite this, Swimm 2 does not recognize the style well and sometimes adds backstroke, sometimes all pools / intervals / recognize as backstroke, and I swim only with breaststroke! A technological failure of the Garmin brand in the Swimm 2!

• All gadget users should realize AND accept, that technology is not perfect. You can NOT generate a watch, what always records exactly what you did. Sometimes it misinterprets stroke style. And what is the problem?? If you swim ONLY breaststroke, you SHOULD be able to interpret the data correctly. I swim mostly freestyle, but many times I get some breaststroke readings, but actually I know what I did, so it does not confuses me. If I use different styles, the difference in the reading is enough to remember even months later what I did.

The same is with turn detection. Yes, it is annoying, that sometimes your distance is f*cked up. You can edit it later with swimmingwatchtools.com . Many times you do not feel when you made a change in your style, an acceleration, deceleration, extra arm movement because of balance issue, etc.

For me the distance sometimes is good, sometimes wrong, sometimes terribly wrong. I do not complain about technology fraud, I try to find the problem in my swim style. The fact is, that with good swimming style, the readings are almost always perfect. Even if you swim for a long time, you can have swimming flaws. I very rarely see swimmers in the swimming pool with acceptable style. Most of them (incuding myself!) have lots of imbalances and technical faults.

If you can not accept these limitations, swimming watches are not for you. Maybe you can find a model, what fits your style, but you will still face some bad readings.

BTW., all high end Garmin models use the same technology for swimming. The used accelerometer hardwares might be different, but the software are more or less the same. So if you need a different model for more precise readings, you should change the brand.

• Probably we purchased 2 different watches Joy. Which software do you have? I've 2.80

• I understand everything and I'm not perfect myself, but it is about misleading customers and buyers with the information provided by Garmin - the commercial offer is not in line with the characteristics of the goods! Everything you write should be on offer for this Swimm 2 smartwatch! When buying such a product, I would be aware that it is a product with an error, and sometimes it may be a serious error!

• One more thing: your statement shows that the Swimm 2 is a swimmer's watch with the perfect swimming style that Garmin engineers defined when designing this watch! This is total nonsense! Then only a few swimmers / people / in the world meet such ideal conditions! Then the Garmin company, selling such a product, should openly inform you about it: a smartwatch only for swimmers with an ideal swimming style! For the remaining 99% of swimmers, Swimm 2 will generate erroneous readings and report swimming! Total nonsense and misleading buyers!

• I've 2.80 too. You are one of the few to praise Swimm 2 for flawless distance reporting! You're most likely to swim with the "perfect swimming styles" that Garmin engineers developed when designing distance counting technology! ;) Unfortunately, it was only after buying that I looked at my eyes and read the opinions of many people about the errors in reporting the distance by this product! Now, just like before buying Swimm 2, I count the swimming pools when swimming 1500 to 2000 m, then edit the activity and enter the correct distance. Unfortunately, I cannot rely on distance alerts while swimming and on time readings since the distance is not correct - there are always 1 to several pools per 1000 to 2000 m missing, / 60 - 80 swimming pools swam /!

• And so, after long reflection: Your position is wrong! It's as if Mercedes Benz or Audi cars are aimed at perfect drivers with perfect driving style! For most people who drive an average style, the odometer and speed readings will be inaccurate!

• I think you misinterpreted my post. What I said is that as long, as there is 1-2 length difference in 1km, or some swim style misreadings now and then, it is completely acceptable. These gadgets will NEVER be perfect. Remember, there are some accelerometers in the watch, and the software should guess from that information all the data what it presents to you. Engineers and programmers can do wonders, but there is always something what they can not predict. As a human beings, we are all different, we swim different, our styles are different, but they should fit everything in one perfect product. It is an impossible task.

As with your car example, driving is easy, you have some pedals to push and a steering wheel. And still with an Audi or Mercedes car, you can make mistakes, you can break the traffic rules, you can die in them, you can kill people with them, and sometimes they just refuse to work. And still, they are sold as cars, and people are happy to use them. Actually if you use different size of tyres, your odometer and speed readings will differ! - note, if they use GPS technology to control it, the GPS technology might fail if satellite view is imperfect.

I guess that you do not see this issue from a technological but a more of user point of view. I am an engineer, I work at product support, so I am aware all of the challenges what you face during development or support. I also had some issues with this watch. But instead of just complaining, I found all of the tricks to make it work as I needed. Not perfect for sure, but I think that you can not have a better technology these days.

• "All gadget users should realize AND accept, that technology is not perfect. " :) With this statement, you are clearly on the side of the seller and manufacturer of gadgets and justify their defective products! I would say otherwise: Every producer and designer of gadgets should know that their users are not perfect and that they should design / adapt their products to this truth!

• As an engineer working with a swimmer watch, you should know that the pool has only TWO walls: the one where "Start" is pressed on Swimm2 is always the start wall and the watch should always display even multiples of the number set in the pool length on the watch, e.g. 0 x 25, 2 x 25, 4 x 25, 6 x 25 etc., and the opposite wall should always indicate an odd number of pool lengths: 1 x 25, 3 x 25, 5 x 25, 7 x 25. This is a simple algorithm for counting lengths, and Garmin engineers cannot "jump" this simple algorithm and Swimm 2 on the start wall, where Start was pressed, shows a lot of values from the opposite wall! :)