This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No Infinite Pool (Static Swimming)?

It would be great if it was added the possibility to set pool size as Infinite as there as Infinite pools and static/tethered swimming belts.

This is something I think would take 3 seconds for the programmers to add.

Tks.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to 8122588

Or simply set avg stroke rate and calculate the avg estimated distance 

• Were you able to record distance with GPS off? I have tried, but did not work with my Forerunner 935. Maybe it only work with a newer model. 

This is a question from 2 years ago, but I would like to know if the Swim 2 can record distance with GPS off.

A Fenix 6 Pro could do that fairly accurately, but due to software updates it now records only half the distance. So I am looking for another device to use for swimming with GPS off and not in a pool of fixed size.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to -

It’s tricky and will only be an approximation:

1) disable gps

2) set pool size to 70meters (this is what I play with to get near my real pace.

3) set timer to 3 min and fake a wall turn when the timer beeps

I have fiddled around with pool size and got approximately real values….but really we should start a crowd sourcing project to create a device that would work with stroke rates (a bit like a podometer works). This would work in pool, endless pools and open water.

• Yes - the Swim 2 can record open water swim distance with the GPS off. I've been using it that way for months and it's pretty accurate. I just got a Forerunner 255 and it can NOT do this. Distance is always 0 on the 255 with gps off. When I contacted support about it they said no Garmin watch should be able to track open water distance with GPS off. So fingers crossed the Swim 2 continues to be able to do it and that they don't "update" the software and change the behavior.

• Thank you, that is good to know! Which software version is on your Swim 2 now?

• I've been able to track distance with GPS off with my Epix2 until latest fw update last week (13.22). It doesn't work anymore at all so I just hope for you guys they don't remove it for the Swim2  as well...

• My 255 originally wouldn't track distance with gps off but then after I did a couple pool swims it started to work. Maybe your fw update reset something and you need a few pool swims to reset your distance per stroke?

• Thanks for the idea, unfortunately it didn't change anything, but I managed to make it work again by deleting the custom activity and recreating one from the openwater one with GPS disabled. Works fine now.