Which Data Recording Mode and GPS Mode do you use?

Hi All,

Just wondering what most people use for both the Data Recording Mode and also the GPS Mode.

I've generally left the Data Mode as Auto rather than every second and the GPS on auto too.

Is there much benefit to changing these, much in it for accuracy of the GPS route recoded or it is marginal gains?

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Andy D. 

• I use All+Multiband always. I didn't notice a significant difference in battery with Sat IQ when I tested it at its launch. Decided to opt for the most accurate option especially as one uses a track as well.  Extreme battery life not an issue for me, I don't do ultra's and happy to charge a few times a week. I have data recording on Smart currently. Can't say I recall testing  vs every second.

• I also use the smart recording, since I don't usually analyse my data using external tools (which would benefit from more data). The GPS mode depends on the activity. All+multiband for running (for slightly better instant pace), all systems for most of the others where I'm not that interested in pace (and to conserve battery during hiking, for example). I've found GPS only to be too inaccurate for hiking in a forest here in Finland, otherwise I would use that for hiking.

• Thanks for this, I'm going to follow you're settings now, changing the GPS to All+Multiband, it means the GPS trails recorded, which I sometimes like to look back at, will be their most accurate version and I'm happy to charge once a week too. Thanks again, much appreciated. 

• Thanks for this, I'm going to use the same settings now, swapping from auto GPS to the All+Multiband. I'm tempted to try one of my regular routes, one time with Smart Recording, the other with Every Secord and see if there's much differences.

Thanks again, always appreciated.  

• Pleasure , let me know what happens with the every second. 

• For people who are obsessed how their trail looks on strava after an activity, definitely set recording on 1 second. It just means the position is saved to the fit file every second, it stead of garmins algorithms who decide when to save the position (and garmin algorithms can be wrong)

This doesn’t impact how often the position is determined by gnss. That is always once persecond.

This has a slight impact on the size of the fit file, but nothing to worry about. It doesn’t impact battery life.

As for gps settings. Multiband only has benefits in situations where gnss signals could be bounced on large object, like buildings or cliffs. I see literally no difference between most accurate settings on my new 965 and old 935, but I do see a large battery impact on the high settings on my 965. I then only get about 10 hours of gps usage, which is very disappointing.

• The usefulness of every second recording depends also on the speed of moving. In slow activities (like hiking in a forest) one moves very little every second, so the benefit is smaller than for cycling. Also, it's good to know that certain sensors automatically turn on every second recording. For example, I keep the every second recording off in my settings, but since I wear HRM Pro+ during running, all my running activities still record everything every second (and the same happened with my old Fenix 5+ and Running Dynamics Pod).

(Also at least theoretically every second recording does consume a little more battery, since storing the data in the watch's flash memory does consume power, as well as transferring the data from the watch. But I agree it probably doesn't have any real life effect.)

• The usefulness of every second recording depends also

Oh. You talk about usefulness. Other than how your trail looks on strava, there isn’t any use. But some people think how it looks is beneficial for their workout

• As I wrote earlier, every second can be useful if you analyze your activity data using third party tools like Runalyze etc.

• I doubt athletes like Kiptun use 1 second recording interval details in his preparation for his attack on the marathon world record in Rotterdam, next april.

But if people are happy just by having more data, be my guest.