Base runs being recorded as Tempo

Firstly, I’m running the latest version on my 965. I have:

- LTHR = 169bpm

- Max HR = 196bpm

- Zones based on %LTHR

- Auto Detect for Max HR, Threshold, FTP

just diid a 2hour base run with average HR @ 149bpm. The suggestion was 146bpm. However instead of being recorded as base effect it had been recorded as a Tempo run. I find this happening a lot. Can anyone explain why and if there is a fix please? I’ll post my graphs below for your perusal. 

If there is any other information you require that might be helpful I’m happy to provide. 

• That’s ok. I tried disabling the wrist HR monitor and running the health snapshot - this was with the HRM connected. It said I had to enable the wrist HR in order for it to be measured.

i also undertook another guided lactate threshold run this morning - yet again it said “not detected” right at the end. Details below:

I only went outside of the parameters once at the beginning. Sequence of events was as follows:

2 x 4min 136-156bpm

1 x 4min 156-166bpm

1 x 4min 166-176bpm

1 x 3min  176-186bpm

1 x 3min 186-196bpm

So, to recap the facts:

- I completed a guided threshold test on 18 June 2023 using a Garmin Fenix 5.
    - test results were 169bpm 4.41 pace 

- HR zones  setup using %LTHR

- max HR= 196bpm

- auto detect: threshold = off, max HR= off

when looking back at Garmin Connect on the 18th of June I can see the run that I undertook was a steady state run for 55minutes and not a guided threshold run. Could it be that my previous lactate threshold was detected with the auto detect function and that maybe the HRM3 - SS cannot perform a Guided Threshold test?

• maybe the HRM3 - SS cannot perform a Guided Threshold test

It should.

I dug out my wife's old strap and it turns out it is an HRM3-SS! I am glad the battery was still OK because she didn't use it for the last five years at least :-)

I disabled the WHR, connected my HRM Pro+ and wasn't able to start the health snapshot. You are right, the watch declines because of lack of WHR.

I was able to complete the HR Stress test with the HRM Pro + though.

I repeated the HRV Stress with the HRM3-SS and it worked!

So the HRM3-SS is capable of sending HRV/R-R data properly.

So, I think your chest strap doesn't work well any longer and doesn't send the HRV data correctly. It could simply be a broken strap or a battery issue. If you have had this strap for a couple of years already, you might consider to ask Santa for a new one, or try to repair this one.

• Ok thanks so much for this response - your feedback is appreciated.

before asking Santa for a new HRM, should I test whether I can perform the HR Stress test with HRM3-SS?

Also, when you suggest a new strap, do you mean just that. As in the strap only, or a whole new HRM?

• Yes, you are right: try to perform the HRV stress test with your strap. This way we can confirm the pb is with the strap or not…

If the strap is faulty, check on the watch the battery level. If the battery is OK you can decide to change the strap only (one of the benefits of that model), or upgrade to the HRM Pro/+, for example. If you don’t care about the ability to record HR without the watch (when you cannot wear one), to use multiple BT connections and to track HR/stress/intensity minutes without the watch, other straps like the Polar H10 are also excellent.

• Ok. So turns out HRV stress test is obsolete from the Forerunner 965.

However, I did manage to do a Health snapshot with my HRM3 on (wrist HR was still on. When I had this turned off it wouldn’t allow me to do the test) and it managed to record everything BUT HRV. 

I then performed the test again without HRM3 and just using optical HR. It recorded everything, including HRV. 

so it would seem pretty safe to conclude that… either the HRM3-SS I have is faulty, or the HRM3 does not record HRV.

• Sorry just re-read your post above. It must clearly be a faulty strap or sensor.

• Your HR zones are off. With a LTHR of 169 Zone 3 should start ~153, not 137. 

• Hmmm okay. Currently my zones are setup based on % of LTHR: According to my watch is says:

Z5 = 100%

Z4 95-100%

Z3 = 89-95%

Z2 = 80-89%

Z1 = 65-80%

• Those look good for Zones 3, 4, and 5, but 89% of 169 is 150, not 137 so something is off. Do you have separate zones set for just running?

• Aha!! You are correct. This must be why my 'base' runs are being recorded as Tempo runs despite me keeping heart rate at 146!

No i don't have seperate zones for running.. should i change it manually. I wonder if this is a bug/ error in Garmin?