This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

QQ: For those who switched from FR 955 - any regrets?

Getting older and loosing near sight, I'd probably benefit from a slightly bigger screen, higher resolution and brightness (in the evening, as 955 is greatly visible during the day). Also fed up with Garmin not fixing bugs with 955, but I understand 965 has their own.

Any feedback particularly on the screen visibility, AOD vs not AOD and general convenience to use? Thx.

• Ok, let me give this a go.

You may have seen my posts on the 265 and 965 vs the 955 in the forums.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-955-series/326176/955-vs-the-265---my-experience-as-a-955-user

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-965/329241/the-965-is-here-finally?pifragment-1279=1#1598821

I have bene using FR since the 201, recently I had the 630, 745 then the 955 and tried the 265 whilst awaiting the 965 to be available. I am 60 so I know what you mean about the eyes.

I mainly use running but I do do some other activities now and again.

Here are my views, which clearly would differ per use case.

• The fit and size of the 965 is much better than the 955. It is a bit thinner which makes a huge difference to how it sits on the arm. I didn't even change the stock strap which I did on the 955.
    • I dont really notice major bugs now (since all the recent updates Garmin made), but there are always a few small niggles. They havent affected my use really.
    • You will see in my reviews that the AMOLED screen in sunlight worried me , but one adapts over time. Its really great indoors and for the widgets etc.
    • I use the screen in AOD off for general use with a gesture to activate - gesture. I settled on this as with AOD on at an angle one can barely see the display anyway so it seemed not worthwhile.
    • The larger screen size is really nice.
    • My main issue is in the bright sun it can be less than ideal if it goes into dim mode during an activity, especially doing an interval workout (as an example) when one cannot easily see the countdown to next steps. But one adapts and gets used to this. I think for some other activities it may be more of an issue for instance on an insider rower or bicycle if its mounted , I recall seeing some posts on that - but as I dont have that use case I can't comment on that.

Thats a short summary , feel free to ask any specific questions and I shall do my best to give a constructive reply.

BTW I had opportunity to pass on my 955 so the decision was easier , but I saw the 955 again the other day and the screen looks so small compared to the 965 now.

I am happy with the 965. I have reported a few issues such as the sensitivity of the gesture etc and hopefully over time it gets better.

Cheers

Stephen

• I also come from the 955 and I have to say that I am very satisfied with the 965.

The battery lasts longer in my usage behavior, compared to the 955.

The display is very beautiful, large and sharp.

At the moment, I can only criticize the gesture during runs, as it often does not react. However, it works perfectly in smartwatch mode.

Otherwise, as I said, very satisfied!

• Thank you very much! Those threads are very insightful.

My primary and pretty much only use case is mountain biking. Which is slightly different from running since it's harder to take both hands of the bars. If I rely on the gesture to see the screen, I will need it dialed to operate with one hand. Guess only I can answer this question for myself and only by trying it.

Alternatively, I ordered Edge 840. If I like it and it replaces the maps use case for me, I may even consider downgrading to Instinct. But only 2X comes with the multi-band GPS, unfortunately. And it's bulky.

Also looking at the just released Fenix 7 Pro. I don't really need the extra toughness (actually much prefer the plastic case) and cannot justify more weight. Then the only option is Sapphire Small to match the weight of FR 955. But the screen is even smaller.

One more - I don't like that the screen on 965 is not recessed. I think the tiny protruding bezel on 955 is just right.

• Background: I ride road, mtb, dirt jump, run, swim, hike etc..

Previous Watches: FR935, 945, 955, 965.

I do not regret moving to the 965 one bit. Everytime I look at the screen I smile with how nice it is. That plus the bugs of 955 where agonizing.

While waiting for the 965 I also bought the Garmin Explorer2 mostly to use for maps in road and mtb (with trailforks map). I still use the Explorer2 for mapping but record the activity on 965.

• No regrets. Battery life is better than expected, screen is beautiful and big, small bezels. Titanium around the screen adds a little ‘premiumness’ to the watch as well.