This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Continue until the lap button is pressed does not work

Continue until the lap button is pressed does not work on a workout. It continues until you finish and you get lots of laps instead. Old problem, no fix from Garmin. Så om man vill fortsätta springa efter ett Garmin träningspass så får man stoppa hela aktiviteten och börja om med ett nytt. So if you want to continue running after a Garmin training session, you have to stop the entire activity and start over with a new one. Why doesn't it work on the Forerunner 955 when it worked on the Fenix 6 Pro? The only solution is to fiddle with the settings and remove the option for manual lap completely.

• Could you post a screenshot of the workout

• Löpning = running

Varva ned = cool down

Varv = lap

• I assume this is from a structured workout created in Garmin Connect. Is it possible to see the screenshot of teh planned workout , something like this:

• Do you expect pressing the lap button on the final stage of a workout to do anything other than put a lap marker in the recording?

Forerunners don't loop the workout. Once it's complete it's finished, and the remainder of the recording is tagged as whatever activity was the final one in the workout.

You can use the Garmin Connect app or website to change the types of those final laps.

I have a 5km distance as the single activity in my Parkrun workout. My local course records as longer than 5km, the workout finishes about 200-300m early, but the recording shows the full distance until I stop the recording as "running".

Alternatively, I have workouts with warm up and cool down periods before and after the distance I want to run. Sometimes during the final cool down phase ("until button press") I want to run a short sprint. I press the lap button at the start of the sprint and at the finish, but those laps are recorded as part of the cool down, I later use the app to change those laps to "running".

• Here the simple workout

• Yes. I noticed the same with structured workouts (21k training plan). But when it is at cooldown, just press stop instead of lap. AFter the cooldown you want to stop right?

• That doesn’t make sense to have lap button press at end . I agree just press stop . The workout is badly constructed,

it should only have that type of instruction at an intermediate step in reality .

• Once it's complete it's finished, and the remainder of the recording is tagged as whatever activity was the final one in the workout.

Yeah this is definitely what's happening. I've played with this a bit, and all the laps after the final workout step definitely get tagged as whatever the final workout step was.

So the first time the lap button was pressed during cool down technically ended the workout, and all the subsequent lap button presses simply added laps to portion of the run "after the workout". You can tell that you're no longer in workout mode due to the fact that the workout data pages no longer appear, and that you can take manual laps in the first place. (During workouts, it's impossible to take manual laps -- each press of the lap button simply advances the workout to the next step. Automatic laps still work, though.) Even though workout steps and laps appear to be similar in the lap/intervals table in Garmin Connect, there's definitely a noticeable difference while you're running (e.g. when you take a manual lap, you get the normal lap summary screen, which does not appear when advancing to the next step of a workout.)

If anyone is expecting the workout to just stop when it's finished, that doesn't happen. (Maybe it did for older watches.)

• That doesn’t make sense to have lap button press at end .

It does make sense if you want your cooldown to be completely open-ended - i.e. no distance or time specified.

What I usually do is have two cooldown steps:

- The first cooldown step is for a given time or distance (the minimum I need to cool down)

- The second (unnecessary) cooldown step is open-ended (until lap button press)

I realize the 2nd step is unncessary though, since the activity keeps going after the final step.

I do agree that the simple solution is to manually stop the workout when you're done.

As mentioned in the previous comment, older watches may have automatically terminated the workout after the last step. Garmin's new behavior is to just keep going after the final step, and some people aren't expecting that.

I've also seen similar complaints such as "I have a programmed 10k workout, and the watch keeps going after 10k! I don't like this because I wanted to run *exactly* 10k"

This is probably one of the cases where no matter what Garmin does, people will complain. (inb4 Garmin could make it an option - that just increases the complexity of the software and it doesn't help if people are unaware of the option. Garmin already has enough problems with QA imo).

• Most of the time I want to continue after a Garmin training session because often they are too short and I want one session and not two.