This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR 955 Series Rapid Battery Drain After 12.23

I've reviewed prior power posts, and I'm feeling like a bit of an outlier.

955 solar.  Indoor worker but workout outside.  Didn't expect solar to move the needle much.

I'm dropping 20% per day without workouts.  Went to bed with the watch at 40% and the watch died before I woke up.  I do have pulseox on at night, but not during day.  Stock watch face showing battery power, notification count, date, and digital time with no seconds.

This seems like an outlier.  Are people experiencing this level of drain or should I call for warranty? 

• OK will do. PulseOx is disabled.

Thought Titanium (by Garmin) would be considered non 3rd Party.

• Done!  But my watch face hasn't been active.  I went back to stock trying to test the battery prior to my last post. My pulse-ox is off during the day.  I'll disable it for night too.  Although this is a big feature for me as I'm desating when I go from home (6000f) to play (9-12k feet).  

• Without activity it was about 0,5% per hour. Yesterday, at 64% I started a run of one hour with 2 Connect IQ fields (running power and GAP) and it ended 10% less at 54%, GPS max. And since this activity in about 14 hours it’s dropped to17% (2% per hour) despite a reset. And on the IPhone it’s the GCE app, which uses the maximum of battery. 

• Damn it. I accidentally updated from 11.12 to 12.23 when I was trying to copy data from watch to PC to send to Garmin.

So far no drain issue though. Battery usage is about 0.4-0.5% per hour. spo2 = night and watch face = stock.

Tomorrow I will test with a short workout.

• With all features disabled except activity tracking and phone connection, specifically deleting 3rd party watch face, IQ fields, and disabling pulse ox.  I'm using a stock watch face with no animations and 3 complications.  Specifically digital time, date, battery life, and notification count.  I was down 11% in ~26 hours. Hard to estimate notification frequency but 5-10 per hour would be my best guess.  No workouts.

I re-enabled pulse ox and now I'm down an additional 19% ~15 hours later.  From charging to 100% the day before yesterday at 1:30 pm I'm at 70% at 8:40 am.  30% drop in 43 hours.   At that burn rate I wouldn't make a week.

Even with most features disabled I'd potentially be at 10 days. Maybe I'm making unfair assumptions as to battery life.  If I disabled everything and did a simple watch face I'd make it a little further, but then it wouldn't be a smartwatch!

Bottom line, I'm still well shy of what the marketing material says I should be getting in "smartwatch" mode.  If I were to use the watch freely as a smart watch, with 3rd party face, pulse ox, activity tracking, and notifications I'd get 3-4 days of use.  Adding in a daily workout would drop it to 2-3 days depending on length.    Better than Apple, but disappointingly low.  

That being said, it seems my device is representative of what everyone else  is seeing, so to my original question, I'm not an outlier.  Not a warranty issue.  Thanks everyone!

• I did the same. Stock face, SPO2 disabled. Maybe 2 - 3 notifications per hour if not less. I'm at 2 days now and 65%. This included one 2,5 hour hike (full GPS) and a 1Hr treadmill session. 0,75% per hour. 

• i'm also having this same issue, my battery currently lasts a maximum of two days with no custom watch faces installed.
    pulse ox is set to night time only.   battery use was as expected until the update came through.

what i dont understand, is this update was pushed out a month ago... how is this not fixed yet?  looks to have even been reported in the beta release, but garmin pushed it to the public release chanel anyway?

• Hi Kevin.

Reporting back

I did the above (standard face, no SPO2)  and averaged 0.8% drain per hour over a period of 3.25 days with a remaining 39%. I did one 2.3 Hr Hike a 1 Hour Run and 30 min Swim. The first 10%  averaged 0.4% with no activities.

On the 25th pm I changed back to Titanium face, SPO2  on during sleep, and it still seems in the 0.4% range per hour over a period of 1,5 days with no activity. I am at 82% after 1,5 days.

Last night I closed the GC app at night , that made no discernible difference.

I am running FW 12.25

• Hello .  Please follow the progress of the battery drain issue that you are experiencing by using the link below.

FR 955 Series Battery Drain after 12.23 sw (possibly due to BT connection)

• Same here. Just called Garmin support and they want me to send pictures of my watch before and after my training tonight.
    Strange thing is the battery is reasonable during workouts. When I am not doing workouts then the battery drains like indeed 24% every 24hrs.