This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FR 955 Series Rapid Battery Drain After 12.23

I've reviewed prior power posts, and I'm feeling like a bit of an outlier.

955 solar.  Indoor worker but workout outside.  Didn't expect solar to move the needle much.

I'm dropping 20% per day without workouts.  Went to bed with the watch at 40% and the watch died before I woke up.  I do have pulseox on at night, but not during day.  Stock watch face showing battery power, notification count, date, and digital time with no seconds.

This seems like an outlier.  Are people experiencing this level of drain or should I call for warranty? 

• Definitely not normal.

Try the basic. Reboot watch.

Fiddle around with the Bluetooth connections. Remove and add 955 again.

Or switch off BT altogether to monitor. 

• Have had the same problem until yesterday. Since updates GCE (IPhone) and FR 12.25 beta, only - 0,5% battery lost per hour. BT on, saturation off. IMHO, it seems that the GCE update  has resolved the issue, because the 12.25 was already installed 4 days ago. 

• My watch dropping 24% a day. 24 hours. Without workouts. All suggestions like phone disconnect. Restart, turn off this and that.... and 4 factory resets are not helping. Every 4 days i have to charge my watch. I don´t see that workouts make a big difference but then i have 3 days ... to be honest i´m not very happy with my new watch. And the different firmware versions are not changing this. 

• That's 12% per 24 hours. Does it include activity trackings?

• Are you using ConnectIQ fields? It seems like after a run, my watch is continually looking for my footpod and draining the battery. Only a hard reset seems to resolve it. I've since taken all the ConnectIQ fields out of my data screens and power consumption is about 10% today with an hour of running/GPS

• When discussing the 12.23 firmware issues one of the potential issues appeared to be continuous syncing of Strava segments. If you have the Strava integration enabled, you can go to "Training => Segments" in the Garmin Connect app. Then you can click the 3 vertical dots top right and select Garmin Segments instead of Strava Segments to see if that resolves the issues.

• Thanks all.

I reset everything, removing the watch altogether and adding it back to connect.  It seems to have fixed it.  

Answers to questions below

Activity tracking - yes

iOS.  Updated to latest production firmware/software on both devices.  No beta.

5 connect IQ fields.  Data field for hike, dozen walk, F3b dozen run, dozen paddle and kayak, F3b dozen cycle.  I just removed them all.

One now inactive watch face, Data Lover

Strava segments: yes. If the problem returns I'll disable.

• Update:  Charged it to full and 22 hours later without working out my battery is 87%.  So while doing the above steps helped, I'm nowhere near the claimed battery life.

Any other suggestions?

• I've been tracking mine and that is about in line with mine with no activities.

During a period last week I went from 100 to 25 - thus using 75% in 3.75 days including one 20 min run and one 90 min race during the period on full GPS.

As you say I am not sure how one can get the battery life mentioned with no activities...yet.

I seem to consume around 0.65% per hour when no activities and around 6.5% per hour on a full GPS activity

• and I notice that you both have a 3rd party watch face installed.  Let's remove that and make sure that you have disable Pulse Ox and then retest your battery life: