This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HRV very low and native power issues

Morning,

So my HRV score for the last week has been very low, 35 average every night. I'm 34 with a vo2 of 60 and I feel like I'm sleeping well.

Anyone else experiencing low HRV scores?

Also, tried native power out with the HR Pro strap rather than my stryd pod and it's waaaaaay too high. I went for a recovery run on flat ground @ 10 minute mile pace and it averaged 380w, that would normally be 210w for me with stryd and the Garmin connect app thinks I'm doing threshold intervals, any idea if I can calibrate it?Joy

Cheers

• I see that we agree to a great fraction. Yes running-power calculations are certainly no exact science and cannot compete with the accuracy of cycling power meters, but in my opinion the situation is not so bad. Some contributions of the overall running power can actually be calculated at a good accuracy, and then a careful compatibility assessment allows to derive meaningful values for the rest - not good enough for percentage accuracy, but definitely usable.

• Definitely not as accurate as in cycling, I agree. But regarding taking into account different surfaces there are already solutions with improved accuracy (I can't go into detail, that's not the purpose of Garmin forums).

• i have 34 hr avarage at night too. Im 40 and vo2max of 58 in cycling and 55 in running. In fact i sleep to little (2 kids and full time job) maybe it has some influence. We will see what illnes wil bring. 

Running power is just a gimmick for me. On cycling are real power meters thoo. 

• i'm 53 (with VO2max of 53... would be lovely to keep this age/vo2max equality in the years ahead), and after the required 19 days, i get an HRV status. my 7 day average is 33 and it reports my baseline is 32-36ms.

as has been said by others, it seems to be really individually based, not based on age and VO2max.

• My average actually dropped to 71 because I run after night shift and only sleep 4 hours and have a low score, before this night was 76. As you see change person to person 

• 37 yo here, vo2max is 64, got my garmin 955 5 weeks ago, hrv baseline 40-48ms and 7d average 37ms. I sleep about 8 hours a day, run about 20km a week, work in IT so mostly inactive aside from running and some other sports during the weekends.

• My HRV got up from 50 to 68 just by not drinking any alcohol for a month now. So cause of the HRV drop may be daily stress, alcohol or even what and when you eat.

•     (not sure if the photo is showing up, but it's not here. you can click on it (even the broken one) to view the photo)

Not pregnant or anything, but suddenly my HRV has been low as heck, and stays there.
    Not sure if resetting it (and live without HRV for 3 weeks) or just let it slooooowly adjust my baseline (which might take months by the look of things)
    My HRV has been pretty low all the time, but I expect my baseline to adjust quicker than this. You don't get strained for months, do you? Even if so, is HRV a good indicator for such behavior? I'd expect HRV to provide insights for strains lasting one or two days, at most a week.
    This also keeps my training status at strained, and that is pretty annoying.

• For some people it was a bug, they factory reset their watch and it improved. I would try that if you do not feel like the values line up.

It is crazy to see people's baseline. I have to get hammered or be sick to get below 60 overnight.

• I don’t drink but I can’t even get below 70. My baseline is 90-110 (M37). 

I wish a high HRV endowed me with stronger running abilities but it doesn’t seem to be the case. It really seems to be a very individual value where the trend is more important than the absolute values.