This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery consumption: initial observations?

i know it's probably way to early to start this discussion, but i figure crowd sourcing may yield some insights. in short, after very disappointing battery use, in particular smart watch mode endurance on my 945LTE, i have been hyperaware of how much battery use my 955 Solar is using. just overnight (8-9 hours), i was surprised to see it dropped 3-4%. it may be that the battery gauge is poorly calibrated, but so far, even though one would guess it has a larger battery than the 945LTE, i'm finding consumption not very different.

on the positive side, for my one activity so far, a 70 minute run with Multiband+All satellites, i used up 6% which right on target with spec. (basically zero sun since i ran before and just as the sun was coming up).

i'd love to hear other people's impressions and experiences as some of you have had the watch (just a bit ;) ) longer.

• Very high battery depletion here, did one 50' run and one 60' indoor bike session and I'm getting an estimated battery life of 3 days with the CIQ batteru widget. Using Quatro WF but it's not draining my Venu 2 like that so not sure what's going on... 

• Today I did a four hour bike ride and lost 10% and about 6% overnight. Wondering if it needs bedding in or if it is the app talking too much. Had phone with me today, need to try something long again but without the phone with me to see if it makes any difference 

• Aaaaaand after a good start (see my happy post a few posts ago)  battery is crashing since last evening...

Did 2 non-gps test activities yesterday to check OHR vs strap (7 hrs in total and using ~6% of battery) but set a marker at 23:00 last evening and  now battery is -18% for ~2.3%/hr! So that's even with ~8hrs of sleep.

Also at 23:00 it was at 54%, after the actvities (around 19:30) it was at 64% so it already started then.If it keeps on depleting now I'll give it a restart and see if that fixes anything. Ugh...

*Edit*

So after this comment it already was from 37 to 35% in an hour or so so I gave it the reboot, that seems to have helped so far. It's now 1h20m later and it's still at 35%. Something to keep an eye on, no clue what triggered it.

And almost 3 hrs later it's 34% (and as it was already 35 and depleting fast before the reboot it might not even be a full percentage). So it indeed seemed something was corrupt in the background and causing the drain. Good to know at least a reboot seems to fix that specific issue.

• Well my battery has finally leveled out. I realized it was constantly trying to find my Stryd pod when I wasn’t running. So it was draining my battery. I also turned off the display turning on when I i raise my wrist during the day. Working great now. 

• Was the Stryd pod connected with Ant+? I thought they always show searching for devices (I've got HRM Pro, Stryd, Polar Verity, Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors), and when I view the sensors, they all show searching. 

I've not charged mine since Saturday night, just got back from another 50 minute run, and I'm on 19% now. 

• Is the Stryd pod data collected via an CIQ data field? Could that data field itself be buggy?

• I also think stryd (over ant+) was causing issues... I noticed that even when just in the watchface it sometimes showed a 'stryd connected' message. I understand it searching when going to the sensor settings, but it shouldn't just always be scanning.

After removing the stryd sensor that did seem to help, did have other random battery drains (often after activities?) which were then fixed by a restart. So things still seem weird, but at least a workaround in the form of a restart seems to fix things.

Might be connectiq field related (I tried external hr sensor test using a connectiq field to compare with OHR) or sensor related (today with my Polar OH1+ I seemed to have a drain afterwards, but was also messing around with connectiq fields so who knows)

• Good observations. It sounds like this may be some of the issues that have plagued 945LTE owners. I only encountered this once on my watch  but I’m only using two garmin HRM straps. 

To update my current charge cycle using your awesome widget Grinning , I now sit at 51% after 6.5 days which includes 4.5 hrs of running with All satellites and 2 hrs of hiking with GPS only. Solar definitely bolstered things for several days. I’m guessing smart watch use is about 7%/day for my typical use pattern but I gained 2%/day on several days. 

all in all within spec. I’m benefiting it seems by not having any external sensors beyond the two HRM straps I use. 

• Which watch face out of interest?

• Glance pro for the first 5 days and the last day minimal vertical 2. Glance pro only updates HR on gesture (not 1hz) but showing tons of fields including solar intensity and body battery.