This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery consumption: initial observations?

i know it's probably way to early to start this discussion, but i figure crowd sourcing may yield some insights. in short, after very disappointing battery use, in particular smart watch mode endurance on my 945LTE, i have been hyperaware of how much battery use my 955 Solar is using. just overnight (8-9 hours), i was surprised to see it dropped 3-4%. it may be that the battery gauge is poorly calibrated, but so far, even though one would guess it has a larger battery than the 945LTE, i'm finding consumption not very different.

on the positive side, for my one activity so far, a 70 minute run with Multiband+All satellites, i used up 6% which right on target with spec. (basically zero sun since i ran before and just as the sun was coming up).

i'd love to hear other people's impressions and experiences as some of you have had the watch (just a bit ;) ) longer.

• Battery Consumption ist about 30-40% per day after an Activity. After reset about 4-5%/d.

• Started day on 40% did 6 hours of hiking on two separate routes and have finished now at 23% so 13% for the day which seems a bit better 

• And now on charge.

Started day at 20% so 3% use overnight for 8 hours.

Today

walk for 10min with music and low GPS and hrm.

Parkrun 5km 25 mins with music and full GPS and hrm

Walk 10 min no music and low GPS. No hrm (turned off hrm on watch and headphones too)

Just this moment stuck on charge at 5%

Think I last charged it Last Saturday or Sunday so battery seems a bit better this week.

• 15% battery usage for 45 minutes GPS even with some music sounds very high to me.

• Just wondering if it's because the battery was low? As yesterday it did well on the two Welsh peaks I did.

• Sorry I thought I was on the 255 thread as I replied to a very similar thread yesterday.

For comparision, with the 255 on 10.10 firmware I am getting just under 9 days with lots of GPS. 

Id assume the 955 is supposed to have better battery life than the 955 but maybe not?

• I lost 6% (from 72 to 66) under the sun in the morning, 45 minute run with all systems and multiband with chest HRM, 70-90% solar intensity during last 3 hours (why is Lux missing, like on F7?!). After sync, airplane mode and turning it off and back on because of the battery drain. Battery is OK when that bug doesn't kick in. During the day and night. I am impressed with consumption outside activity because Polar looses almost 3x battery during OHR (night).

• Don't worry about it in just logging what I see and same with others so we can see what could be causing the issues, this week seems to have lasted better. If I did the three peaks yesterday with my old Fitbit then I would have had to charge it up at the start and again either before or after the second peak. While with the Garmin I started at 40% and used less than 20% for the whole day. So while I'm happy knowing it will last me for what I need it's not anywhere near what the specs say or the on-screen days left.

• Right fully charged and have powered off and on, just syncing music as soon as it's done I can prepare for another week of observations.

• I'll add my experience since I started following this thread.

I changed the watch face to Coros Apex Like as recommended, I've got glance turned on during activities but off during general use with brightness set at 50 for both. SPO2 turned on during sleep.

From a full charge, I was left with 10% after 5 days. That included 5 runs, totalling 6.5 hours and 3 strength training sessions totalling 90 minutes. It's been sunnier than usual here in the UK so it's had a bit of solar help but otherwise that's pretty good from my point of view.

I don't seem to have had any issues with the watch staying connected to my Stryd footpod or HRM-RUN.