This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery consumption: initial observations?

i know it's probably way to early to start this discussion, but i figure crowd sourcing may yield some insights. in short, after very disappointing battery use, in particular smart watch mode endurance on my 945LTE, i have been hyperaware of how much battery use my 955 Solar is using. just overnight (8-9 hours), i was surprised to see it dropped 3-4%. it may be that the battery gauge is poorly calibrated, but so far, even though one would guess it has a larger battery than the 945LTE, i'm finding consumption not very different.

on the positive side, for my one activity so far, a 70 minute run with Multiband+All satellites, i used up 6% which right on target with spec. (basically zero sun since i ran before and just as the sun was coming up).

i'd love to hear other people's impressions and experiences as some of you have had the watch (just a bit ;) ) longer.

• That may be right. It may have not been my stryd. It was just the only thing I changed was to take it off my watch. 

• I really think that when doing an activity (with some ant+  device attached) something isn't shut down properly... I almost always see a drain after having done an activity until I restart the watch.

After restart it's ~0.2/0.3% an hr again, after an activity the drain is ~2-3% per hour. I think it's only when a device is connected during the activity (but will give that a test next time as well, I most of the time just use an HR strap but will try a run or 2 without)

• I know battery is relative as charging is quick and it still is very good but man these posts in 955 and F7X forums is making me not want To upgrade my F6XS. 

Happy Garmin user for years and know forum is typically negative posts but hard to ignore. 

• I understand what you mean but all in all I'm still happy with the 955 (assuming these things get fixed).

I post these not so much to complain but more to make other people aware too, or give something to try it they face unexplainably drain.

And for Garmin themselves maybe, to pinpoint issues

• I get it and not being negative but seems software keeps getting worse with each new watch. F7 doesn’t even have things 955 has and while they are different it is pretty bad form of Garmin. I know they will come but timing was pretty bad. 

• Agreed, this is the first time I really have issues with what they released (as in, find they really missed the mark here). Bugs will be there, sure... but it's getting a bit much

• i find that the longer i have the watch, the worse the battery life lol. when i got it after update battery drain wasnt far off my 935. now its like 5% a day.

just rebooted it, and it went from 89% to 91% (just by rebooting).  theres definitely a bug somewhere either in battery life calculation or something taking more and more power in the background or both...

• Been thinking on this, does the 955 have a different battery to the other devices? Just wondering if it has a smaller battery so drains quicker. I charged up Tuesday then today at 8% lost 8% with full GPS and music on for about an hour today, a few hours before it dropped down to 8%. Fully charged at 5pm done one 20 min walk with minimum GPS on and as of 11pm (6hours) I'm at 97%

• Oh forgot to say I'm getting an ant+ hrm band tomorrow or Monday, will see how that fairs (non Garmin band)

• i'm on day 8 now of this run. everything has been steady and consistent with spec except for last night. for some odd reason, i dropped from 48% to 44% in just 9 hours. that's unusual as it's usually 2%. since then, i've been out and about with some sun on and off about 8 hours) and it's only dropped 2%.

overall, it's still excellent for this "cycle." i'll probably recharge when it hits around 25-30% as is my usual practice. so far, i except for the blip last night, this is the first Garmin watch i've had (at least in a while) which has a pretty linear battery consumption. my 935 and 945LTE always fell off 100% very fast and then slowed down after 90% to a more steady rate of consumption.