Auto lap and workouts?

I created a running workout and like to look at the interval pace etc afterwards. This was a progression run with a WU followed by 4 x 10 minutes with pace targets.
The activity has been mucked up by time intervals I didn’t want. Is it due to auto lap? When you combine one part with the next it does make 10 minutes, yet the first 10 minute interval worked fine. - you can then see 8.55 plus 1.05 makes 10, 8.08 and 1.52 make 10, and 7.38 and 2.22 make 10. Weird!!!

This has happened once or twice but not always and it would be a nuisance if I had to turn auto lap off, but on a workout I’m really only interested in the intervals of the session, not an auto “1 mile” interval etc..

• Yes i have noticed the same thing. One way may be to create a separate run activity (say run noautolap) as an alternative activity to use when autolap  is not required.

I have a few such setups , one with segments , one without etc so one has more flexibility when choosing what type of run (or other) to do 

• The intervals of the workout are still correct, you just have the added mile autolaps in the mix.  

See that a lot when I do 10min tempo intervals with 3min recovery between... but in that case the 'recovery' interval splits up the run intervals so its easier to review.  When you do a progression run->Run->RUN like this... they get all bundled together and kind of messy.  Looks like you did adhear to the pacing, so kept workout on task! :-)

Could change every other pace target interval to have a 5sec recovery between, to help break up the lap report better.... or change the early 'run' ones to OTHER or something also?  Can do that after the fact as well on the app/web (edit intervals).

Never bugs me, I like that the laps are broken up and the guy I coach I have him set autolap to .5mi to help breakup lap paces a bit more granularly vs one big 10-20min interval... gets you nuggets of paces, easier to target a 'lap pace' that way as well, towards the end of a 10-20min interval, you can be way over/under pace and not effect the 'lap pace' much.

btw - that is the craziest range of paces for a progression run that I would ever imagine!  your warmup is faster than the first two miles of the workout phase?! 

• Thanks! 

imho the intervals aren’t correct if they are broken up in that way as it’s not displaying what I’ve asked it to.

I’ll go with  option of a profile without auto laps for my workouts so the problem doesn’t happen. Seems a simple effective solution Grinning

I get what you mean about a big interval being a bit deceptive but seeing the lap pace as I run adjust itself accordingly sorts that out for me.

Thanks re the intervals lol. Actually, they all progress rather nicely, spot on target, but I did my warm up too fast. I’m hopeless like that. 

Thanks for the advice both, really appreciate it.

• I think the intervals are correct, because you set them to 10 min. Your first 10 min interval is not splitted by autolap because your speed is lower then 10 min per mile. If you take interval 3 and 4 it will give you 10 min in total (your 2nd 10min interval). The same is true for interval 5+6 (representing your 3rd 10 min interval) and 7+8 (your 4th 10 min interval). I have done it in the same way like S.M.R. suggested. Set up a new activity without autolap and you will be fine.

• Hi!

Why would the pace effect whether it splits it up or not?

It’s just interesting because I have done many many many sessions where my intervals as defined by my workout override any auto lap setting, yet now and again the auto lap kicks in like this. I can see how all the pairs each add up to 10 minutes. 

It’s a weird quirk of the system not a consistent feature as it would happen every time otherwise.

No bother though as yes the solution provided should work perfectly Grinning

• The pace effects the splits because in your case if the pace is faster then 10min per mile you first reach 1 mile and the autolap kicks in. In the next step your 10min interval kicks in and the next interval of 10min starts. By this, the autolap starts also again by zero. But if your pace is lower, you first reach the 10min interval and not the autolap. And with every interval you set, the autolap starts from the beginning.

Edit: I have a FR945 and here it was like this from beginning. The autolap kicks always in if you reach the set distance before the interval is over and starts from beginning if the invervals comes first.

• doh! I get you now! and yes it could be this effect which means that I don't notice it on some other session. Thanks!