This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I force the Forerunner 945 LTE to generate a turn signal at certain points when navigating by following a pre-planned route?

When I pre-plan a route and then follow it in navigation mode during a running or walking or hiking activity, the problem is that my Forerunner is not giving any "turn signals" unless the turn is really sharp, like 90° left/right or so.

So e.g. if I arrive at a Y-shape cross-sections and the pre-planned route turns e.g. 45° to the right into a side-road (instead of following the main road straight ahead), I won't get any turn signal and will miss the turn.

I am wondering: When creating the route, is there a possibility to label or tag certain way points with a property that telles the Garmin watch "here you have to give a turn signal, even if the turn is not very sharp".

The whole problem occurs because the Garmin Forerunner apparently is not aware of streets in navigation mode, although it displays the street as a map on the watch's display. But logically, this only seems to be pixel graphics that the watch is not associating with the route to be followed. This is why in the given example situation it does not give a turn signal. It jsut doesn't know that there is an Y-shape crossing and that the person (me) should be directed in one direction via alarm to walk/run the right way.

Of course, if there was a possibility to make the Garmin aware of the streets/ways and generates a turn signal more frequently during route navigation, where necessary, this would be great.

----------

Update: Meanwhile I realized that there *is* an option to tell Garmin to guide me along the streets of the map material, i.e. put the route onto the street net, so to say. However, this comes with many other deficiencies and is therefore not a viable option:. Deficiencies of this mode are:

- Forerunner does not warn me if I miss a turn and deviate from the route. Instead, to make things even worse, it "invents" a new route that is very far away from the pre-planned route (relaly with no relation to the pre-planned route) and wants to lead me along that route, not even warnign me that this is not my original route.

- If I missed a turn and then realize it 300 m later and walk back to the pre-planned route, the Forerunner still does not realize that I am "back on track" and wants to guide me in random completely implausible directions - absolutely crazy.

- Often, althouth I am Navigating right along the pre-planned route, the Forerunner suddenly deviates from this route without any reason! Often, I should turn left or right into a street, according to the pre-planned route, but the Forerunner wants we to go straight ahead. This defies the whole purpose of navigating along a pre-planned route.

Bottom line: The navigation along a pre-planned route in combination with a map match mode is completely unusable. (unfortunately, the mode without the map match is also unusable, just for other reasons.)

• I add course points using Garmin connect at tricky places and label them "TURN RIGHT".  I get a beep, and then I read the direction from the map.

• Swith turn alerts off on the 945. With the iq app appbuilder5 you can program sound alerts when you x-meters from a waypoint in a costum datafield

formula shoot be something like this;

if(alert(distanceToNextPoint_raw gt 10, 0, 2);alert(distanceToNextPoint_raw lt 40, 2) gt 0, null, null)

• Wow. I didn't know I could easily code for my watch. Thank you - will check out!

• I add course points using Garmin connect at tricky places and label them "TURN RIGHT".  I get a beep, and then I read the direction from the map.

Oh, thanks, I'll try that out! Does the Garmin watch alert upon all manually added course points, or only if they have a special name like "turn left" / "turn right"? And in case of the latter, where is this documented (maybe there are more useful secrets to explore...)?

Update: I tried it out on a small test course this evening. The alert works, but the name of the course point (like "turn left" or "turn right") is not displayed - instead just a flag symbol is displayed... The problem is that often I cannot see where the course is going on the watch's display because I often see neither the map nor the course, I only see red lines everywhere from earlier recorded activities, and there is no way to "undisplay" (hide) these older tracks, other than deleting them from the history of my Garmin connect account, which obviously is not an option. It's a shame that Garmin shows all these useless red lines on the map without any option to hide them. (Forerunner 945 LTE, latest SW 5.07)

• Swith turn alerts off on the 945. With the iq app appbuilder5 you can program sound alerts when you x-meters from a waypoint in a costum datafield

formula shoot be something like this;

if(alert(distanceToNextPoint_raw gt 10, 0, 2);alert(distanceToNextPoint_raw lt 40, 2) gt 0, null, null)

So does this mean that I am building my own app that I then have to upload onto my watch? And does this app then run in parallel to an activity like "running" or "walking" or "cycling"? Or do I have to run this app in my watch INSTEAD of the normal "run/walk/bike" activity?

Currently I have the komoot app installed on my watch and it appears in the list of activities. So I can select EITHER run or walk or hike or cycle activity, OR the komoot app, but not both simultaneously... so how does this work in principle with a self-made app?

• It's just an extra datafield. With appbuilder 5 you can create your own datafields. You can ad the created datafield to the activity you like :-)

• I see. But I want to see the map on the full display. If the data field is on another display of the activity, will I still hear the alerts? Or will I hear the alerts only if the data field is visible (in which case the map is not visible - or at least not at full screen)?

• Yes you will hear the alerts, you can also make the field invisible. Just what you like.

I will post a new code today,  it just need test.

• The problem is that often I cannot see where the course is going on the watch's display because I often see neither the map nor the course, I only see red lines everywhere from earlier recorded activities, and there is no way to "undisplay" (hide) these older tracks, other than deleting them from the history of my Garmin connect account, which obviously is not an option. It's a shame that Garmin shows all these useless red lines on the map without any option to hide them.

Are you sure it's not the same "problem" as this one? https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/298446/watch-gets-filled-by-previous-runs-in-my-course-selection

• Thanks for the hint. But no, that seems to be a different problem. For me, I do not even know what "Garmin Explore" is. All I have is the Garmin Connect App on my smartphone (and the Connect IQ app for the possibility to install datafields or apps on my watch). And the Garmin Connect account in my web browser, of course.

The "red lines" that are messing up all of my Forerunner's map view (see photos) are not stemming from courses in my list of courses (in Carmin Connect App or in Web browser Garmin Connect) but are really just my own auto-saved previous "hiking" and "walking" activities ("running" activities seem to be unaffected, while "hiking"/"walking" activities only cause these persistent red lines in ca. 50% of the cases, seemingly randomly).

In other words: In https://connect.garmin.com I am seeing the tracks belonging to these disturbing red lines NOT under "Training -> Courses", BUT under "Activities -> All Activities".

I was already searching for a way to sort of "archive" them (so that they are still in my online-account and app, but not on my watch any more), but I did not find any such possibility. All I can imagine is the possibility to delete an activity entirely - but obviously I want to keep my record of activities in my account for later reference, so this seems not an option. --> Update: I found out that I can delete a former activity from my watch and it will NOT get deleted in my GarminConnect account - so that's positive news and at least allows some workaround. Deleting a past activity on one side (watch or connect account) will not sync this deletion towards the other side. At least this is good.