This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Water of swimming pool kills FR 945 barometer & altitude sensor?

Hi,

I had the the 3rd barometer&altimeter issue with my FR945 and previously with my FR935:

I am using my watch 3 times a week in a swimming pool. My feeling is that the water of swimming pool kills the baro&altimeter sensor of the watches after some month.

All of my previous watches were changed to a new one in guaratntee because of this failure.

Recommendation was from the official Garmin shop:

• wash the watch in soapy, warmish water
  • restart, reset and hard-reset of the watch
  • downgrade to previous software

I tried all of these without sucsess.

I am using now a new watch with the newest softwares and with correct altitude measurement, after warranty replacement.

Anyone else have the same problem?

• I swim 2-3 times a week in the pool and I had same issues with 935 and one 945. All replaced under warranty. I think that the 945 failure came even after Garmin disconnected the sensor for pool activities. Maybe was already a bit damaged. Many times failure use to come after Garmin  updating the sensor.

• Yep, about to file my third replacement. Each lasts one year... The watch is great otherwise

• I had several 935 fail due to this issue and my 945 has just failed this month. I swim in a pool most days and do a lot of sea swimming too. I wash it after every swim with soapy water. This watch hRage lasted longer at 2yrs 5months but I feel that they should last longer, for the price you pay and it’s supposed to be a triathlon watch! Of course I suspect it’s out of warranty now too Rage

• Yes, I had one 645 replaced by Garmin because the altimeter went haywire. Despite what Garmin says, salt from seawater or chlorine from indoor pools will degrade the altimeter in the long run, no matter how carefully you wash it afterwards. So does diving with the watch on, as you get a sudden increase in pressure when hitting the water.
    I purchased another watch without a barometric altimeter for water sports only.