This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UX: Back button (lap) bug while workout is running

Hi,

I've noticed the unfortunate behavior of the Back ("lap") button during a running workout.

Activity: Run

• Lap key is turned off (Activity Run setup)
  • System Hot key "Hold BACK" is mapped to "Lap"

After starting the activity, everything behaves correctly, and the new lap starts after a long-press of the Back button. Short-press of Back button switches me to main screen (same as when no activity is launched), this is correct.

But, if an workout is started (Daily suggestion, Intervals etc.), then lap is triggered after short-press Button too!!! This behavior is bad and has caused me to stop training prematurely several times... :-(

Is this behavior the same for others?

Regards,

djx

• This is intended. This function was added in 8.20:

"Allow the lap key to advance workouts to the next step regardless of the lap key setting."

I suggest you add another hotkey for the watchface.

• Thank you for reply, yes, you're right! But I really don't understand the point of this "improvement" :-|

For example: I have shortcut for the metronome - after switching on, I wanted to return to activity and intuitively pressed the Back button... And the whole workout was over without the possibility of return :-(

• It was probably added because if you disable the lap button there was no way to advance to the next step in a workout.

• Yes, this is theoretically possible and this is exactly what happened to me once. But this is really easy to solve (just turn on the Lap button again in the activity settings, even during training). However, I think that the problem with accidental termination of the activity is much worse... :-(

• And then think how many uses it like you do, and how many just uses the lap button. So probably your pretty much on your own with your own doing.

• I think it would be the best you to change hold Back button shortcut to show watchface and let the Lap button take its default functionality. 

It will probably take some days to get used to it but it is worth it.

• One more observation (and I think this is really a bug):

Firmware before 8.20 (old behavior):
    If I have the Lap button off for the Run activity, and I have a workout running, where one of the steps is, for example, "warm up before pressing the Lap button", it is now possible to enter the activity settings and activate the Lap button. Therefore this situation can be solved without any problems even without the new behavior of the Lap button from firmware 8.20 and higher.

Scenario 2 - Firmware 8.20 and higher (Activity Running, Lap button set to off, "lap" mapped to long press of Back button):
    When the workout is running, it is possible for example to enter the music menu (long press of Down button), then it is possible to exit this menu by pressing the Back button - this is correct. But if I need to enter system menu (long press of Up button) - for example turn on the display backlight after sunset - I'm in the backlight settings and when I press the Back button (I want to leave the system menu), not the BACK action is performed, but action LAP (!)  - this behavior is really a bug in my opinion.

So why (during running workout like Daily Suggestion) in the music submenu the "Back/Lap" button behaves like really Back, but in the system menu it behaves like Lap ???

• Sorry no. https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/278293/forerunner-945-software-version-8-20---live 

• Allow the lap key to advance workouts to the next step regardless of the lap key setting.

Works as documented. Again, you are on your own with your weird settings and requirements.

• OK, so why this behavior doesn't work when I'm in the music submenu???

I don't complain that the Lap action is performed even when the Back button is short-pressed, but that it is performed even when scrolling through the system menu, whenever one needs to go back one level...

UPDATE:

- another FR945 - same settings as me, but in system menu behaves Back button really as Back!!!

- My FR945 - turned Lap Button On in activity Run - Back button behavior in system menu is OK ... Then turned Lap button again to Off, and... Back in system menu OK (???!!!). There must have been be something wrong with the cache in the watch settings, because now I have the same configuration as before, but the behavior of Back button in system menu is different (= correct), OMG...!

• So you got your problem solved? Great! Basic Garmin troubleshooting is toggling the setting if there's some setting that is related to the feature.

These things happens. No, we don't know why. Remember these are community forums.