This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Temperature data screen - swim activity not working after 7.8 update

Temperature data screen works on other activities but no longer on swim activity (the only application of temp I had some interest in to gage water temp) after the update.  Anyone else seeing this?

Thxs.

• Fenix user, i found the temperature wrist sensor quite accurate inside water and i used it on pool and ows, i couldnt find a reason to remove it , th data should be there and let the user the decision to take it or not. I am really disapointed with Garmin and this decision. This featue should get back

• The ability to measure water temperature readings during a pool swim activity was removed in version 7.80. After through testing and investigation, we have discovered that having the barometer-thermometer (a combined electronic part) powered on during exposure to chlorine dramatically accelerates the failure of the part. Therefore to give customers the best experience and product longevity we decided it was very important to make the change to turn off this part during pool swimming.  

• What if I swim in a lake? Let us decide what to do. You force me to spend extra money for temp gauge.

• Luckily open water swimming still works. 

• Open water swimming is unaffected this is only tied to pool swimming. 

• ou force me to spend extra money for temp gauge.

Loving this faux outrage. Keep it up. It's entertaining 

• hm, sounds rather interesting 

so chlorine exposure affects dramatically the sensor only when it is powered on and exposed to water, but doesn't when it is powered off and exposed to water ? 

that doesn't sound too plausible to me, not sure why

• Just a curiosity: on my 945 after finished a pool activity, temperature sensor remain switched off until i do a new activity (other than pool swim)....

Seen just now this has been corrected on 8.02 beta.....

• To me that sounds plausible. Pools have so called free chlorine that is there to keep pool clean. As it it's on it might have some electrical charge that attracts the free chlorine in the pool, and without being powered on that doesn't happen.

I'm more thinking that the swimming pools that I know doesn't have much chlorine. It was something that was used hugely in the 1990's or something. Things have moved on a lot from that. Filtering, UV, Ozone methods lessen the chlorine amounts a lot. You don't even smell it like you used to.

At least in my country there is maximum limit of 1,2 milligrams/litre of water of free chlorine, and minimum 0,3 milligrams if pH is under 7,3 or 0,4 milligrams if pH is higher. And if water temp is 32 or more (children pool, warm water pool) it has to be over 0,6 mg/litre. (mg/l to ppm is 1 mg/l is 1 ppm, and google founds some recommendations it being 1-3 ppm, so almost 3 times the max allowed here)

If free chlorine is the problem in what concentrations it is causing problems? :D 

But in pool swims, the temperature isn't even interesting, it doesn't much change and it's usually mentioned somewhere what is the temperature of the pool. I rarely swim pools that are outside and might theoretically have changing temperatures as then you can also swim outside as the lakes aren't frozen :D But of course YMMV :D