This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 945 Beta Software version 6.85 now available!

Download

Notes:

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History

Changes made from version 6.20 to 6.85:

• Added sleep tracking widget with sleep score and insights by Firstbeat AnalyticsTM.
  • Added the ability to rate the perceived effort and feel of a Run, Bike, or Swim activity. The prompts appear during activity save. Go to [Activity] Settings > Self Evaluation for options.
  • Added Ultra Run activity profile.
  • Added VO2 Max for Trail Run activities.
  • Improved results for daily Body Battery calculations.
  • Updated Intensity Minutes determinations to align with guidance from CDC.
  • Added metabolic calories into the total calories reported in the calories data field and recorded in the activity file.
  • Improved feedback on stress level readings.
  • Improved altimeter auto calibration during activities.
  • Improved power meter calibration and settings.
  • Improvements to swimming activities.
  • Fixed some metronome interference with wrist-based cadence.
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

Installation Instructions

1. Connect your Forerunner 945 to your computer using the USB cable.
  2. Download and unzip Forerunner945_685Beta.zip. Place the GUPDATE.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder of your device's internal storage drive.
  3. Copy GUP3114.GCD from the RemoteSW folder to \Garmin\RemoteSW on the device.
  4. Disconnect your device from the computer, approve the update on the watch, and wait for the update to finish.
  5. If you would like to revert to the last public release software, place the GUPDATE-620.GCD file in the \GARMIN folder. Rename GUPDATE-620.GCD to GUPDATE.GCD before disconnecting your device. Copy GUP3114-702.GCD from RemoteSW\Downgrades to \Garmin\RemoteSW on the device and rename to GUP3114.GCD. NOTE: If you revert to an older version of software, all of your settings will be reset to defaults.
  • Great job!

One suggestion: could the Sleep widget be added as part of the "Health stats" section along with Heart rate, Stress, Body Battery etc. ?

• Úplne super aktualizácia. Ďakujem Garmin za oživenie hodín či už je to widget spánku, alebo Vo2max pre trailové behanie. Ešte urobiť preklad a bude to fantázia

Ešte raz ďakujem.

• Sounds positive so far; if the worst is that some watch faces "stutter", that should be a pretty quick fix?  I'd install it, but I *really* don't want to re-set up everything from scratch once the production firmware drops.  I spend SO much time setting these watches up every time I buy a new one..

• Indeed. If at least we were able to change the Data screens using the Garmin Connect app that would be more practical than going through the watch menus...

• A cloud backup like android would be enough

• Thanks BeneGI. After editing in  other parts on the app, it changed on the watch and stayed put. Good Thumbsup

• Hi Luca, I'm quoting an article from DC Rainmaker because he is quoting one of the guys who worked on the algorithm, https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/02/garmin-enduro-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html Specifically this segment here.

From a user perspective, there is a setting that still allows a user to disable Trail Run VO2max calculations in the Trail Run profile.  A big benefit of the Trail Run profile in the past is that users could effectively use it to “screen out” trail runs so they wouldn’t affect their VO2max, Training Status, etc.  If users still want to exercise caution with VO2max on trail runs (especially, say, if they are wearing a pack), they can use this setting to still “disqualify” a run from generating a VO2max so it doesn’t mess with their other features.”

I've always used the trail running profile when running with my wife or some of my friends that aren't as fast to keep that data from effecting my training status. I would say that for running with a pack, I'd still side with not having the VO2 max detection turned on. I've included the full quote below.

At the most basic level, the analysis used to calculate VO2max compares how fast you are running compared to how hard your body works to maintain that pace. Given that we are using heart rate as the key input to determine your effort, it’s important to understand that there are times when your current HR accurately reflects your current speed and there are times when it does not.

So, there has always been a lot of filtering and prioritizing happening in the background to sort out things like uphill/downhill, stops/starts, intervals and naturally occurring changes in intensity, etc… all in pursuit of identifying when relationship between and internal and external workloads reflects your fitness level (VO2max) and when it doesn’t. For all the obvious reasons, trail running adds a substantial layer of complexity to this problem. Changes in elevation have been incorporated into the analysis for many years now and that remains the case for trail running-based VO2max – but only to the degree to which it has been previously used.

The new element in the mix here is how accelerometer data is being used.  We are basically looking for and identifying patterns in how you are running to recognize when more energy than normal is being used to keep pace. In other words, it’s about attributing the fact that your body is working harder due to the ruggedness and changes of the trail instead of simply assuming you’re working harder than normal because of inadequate recovery or a drop in fitness. Without taking this perspective into account, your VO2 max would almost always be underestimated during trail runs. Getting a VO2max estimate from your trail runs is kind of neat but I think the ultimate value here is probably that it also means you are getting more data fed into things like Training Status. Perhaps it’s worth noting that there isn’t a separate “trail running VO2max analysis.” The developments that make estimating VO2 max during trail runs possible are baked into the normal VO2 max calculation, making the whole shebang more robust.

From a user perspective, there is a setting that still allows a user to disable Trail Run VO2max calculations in the Trail Run profile.  A big benefit of the Trail Run profile in the past is that users could effectively use it to “screen out” trail runs so they wouldn’t affect their VO2max, Training Status, etc.  If users still want to exercise caution with VO2max on trail runs (especially, say, if they are wearing a pack), they can use this setting to still “disqualify” a run from generating a VO2max so it doesn’t mess with their other features.”

• Wrist HRM Respiration rate inaccurate and needs improvement.

• Another great update by the guys at Garmin. Kudos.

I know we give them some stick here for feeling the 945 is overlooked with updates - but I think the 945 is now where it should have been on release and it's been great to see the improvements over the past couple of years. I really feel like the metrics etc are useful / help now.

Body battery now makes so much more sense to me (no need to look at oura or whoop anymore...)  had a very hard late night run session last night and then only 7hrs ish sleep - previously I would also have 100% battery in the morning - no way - I still feel it - but now body battery is tell me the same - you are recharged, but not fully.

• Thank you very much for your response