This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not a 955, but 945 LTE?

If this is true, let's hope the rest of the hardware also gets a once-over in addition to the cellular connection. Less bezel would be nice.

https://gadgetsandwearables.com/2021/04/16/garmin-forerunner-55/

Garmin Forerunner 945 LTE

Moving quickly on and next up we have the Forerunner 945 LTE. This one was revealed by EMVCo – the organization that enables card-based payment products to work together seamlessly and securely worldwide. It was listed alongside the Venu 2.

As the name implies, The Forerunner 945 LTE will be a cellular version of the original. The question is whether Garmin keeps all the specs the same or upgrades the hardware with new sensor technology. It would make sense to upgrade the internals.

Are you likely to call your office while on a run? That would probably be the last thing on your mind, but it doesn’t hurt to have the option.

Garmin already has a watch with LTE – the Vivoactive 3 Music (Verizon). But this comes with limited functionality. The cellular connections only supports safety features and music downloads. Those with a monthly Verizon service plan can also send and receive texts. But there’s no support for phone calls.

It seems an exciting couple of months are ahead as far as Garmin announcements. Venu 2, the Descent MK2, Forerunner 55 and Forerunner 945 LTE have all been pretty much confirmed. The first will launch this month, most likely followed by the Descent MK2. Towards the end of May or in early June we should see the last two on this list, possibly more.

• I think this is sort for great news for 945 owners, as I hope it means longer software update support for the 945.

I don't really see what physical / hardware improvements I would want for it (I wish it had a smaller bezel indeed, or just that the watch was smaller with the same screen).

But there is so much to do in software!

• Hmmm, neither would really make sense though...

Either keep it almost identical (no hw upgrades and smaller bezels, just LTE) and name it 945LTE

Or indeed upgrade and update it, but then also name it differently... such as 955LTE or so

But we'll see in may/june I guess. Owning a 945 I am interested in smaller bezels (ie large screen), LTE and perhaps a faster processor (mainly for route calulations and navigation). Improved sensors (OHR, GPS) is always welcome as well of course

• This explains why the SW update does not debut, Fenix has received substantial updates with the release of Enduro which is nothing more than a modified 6X, Descent update of the other day with imminent release of the new variant and our 945 when they will launch 945 LTE, not having revolutionized HW in 2021 due to covid, modify the consolidated one by adding new SW functions. This, as always, is my humble opinion, positive is the fact that even if you buy an outdated product you find yourself new functions at a lower price and a lot of bugs now solved.

• In that sense the 745 is perfect the size the problem is the battery, at most 4 days training every day for 1 hour. Plus also in 40 minutes it loads 100%.

• I need to take a look at that model. So are you saying it can only last for about 4 - 5 hours on a load, or did I misunderstand? That seems incredibly short.

• 4 days battery life. 40 min total recharge time.

• It would make absolutely no sense to change something in the hardware. This would require a new name. So if it's FR945LTE, LTE would be the only thing that changes.

• Checking the specs makes sense, it lists 7 days smarwatch and up to 16 hrs of gps. This of course is best case, so 4hrs of gps (activity) usage means 25% less battery life which rounds down to about 4 days indeed.

The FR945 lists 2 weeks as smartwatch and 36hrs of gps. I get about 11 days with 3 times ~an hour a week (so 3hr per week total) of activities.

Batterylife is one of the things I love about the 945, that and maps

• Thanks, and agreed :)

• 55, but 945. Seems weird. Why would you start releasing new series from the cheapest option not from the high-end? Who does that?

45 and 945 was released on the same day.

Doesn't seem logical to me.