This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not a 955, but 945 LTE?

If this is true, let's hope the rest of the hardware also gets a once-over in addition to the cellular connection. Less bezel would be nice.

https://gadgetsandwearables.com/2021/04/16/garmin-forerunner-55/

Garmin Forerunner 945 LTE

Moving quickly on and next up we have the Forerunner 945 LTE. This one was revealed by EMVCo – the organization that enables card-based payment products to work together seamlessly and securely worldwide. It was listed alongside the Venu 2.

As the name implies, The Forerunner 945 LTE will be a cellular version of the original. The question is whether Garmin keeps all the specs the same or upgrades the hardware with new sensor technology. It would make sense to upgrade the internals.

Are you likely to call your office while on a run? That would probably be the last thing on your mind, but it doesn’t hurt to have the option.

Garmin already has a watch with LTE – the Vivoactive 3 Music (Verizon). But this comes with limited functionality. The cellular connections only supports safety features and music downloads. Those with a monthly Verizon service plan can also send and receive texts. But there’s no support for phone calls.

It seems an exciting couple of months are ahead as far as Garmin announcements. Venu 2, the Descent MK2, Forerunner 55 and Forerunner 945 LTE have all been pretty much confirmed. The first will launch this month, most likely followed by the Descent MK2. Towards the end of May or in early June we should see the last two on this list, possibly more.

• The incident detection with or without LTE really doesn't change much is there LTE or not

I don't follow you when you say it doesn't change much if you have LTE or not?  If there's no LTE you have to carry a phone for incident detection to send a notification.  If you have LTE, you don't need a phone.  That's the whole purpose of LTE on the watch and a significant change.

You don't need to be able to use your phone the watch uses it via BT.

You're right.  I didn't think that one all the through. Slight smile  I'll rephrase.  The phone is only good if you're carrying one.

• I don't follow you when you say it doesn't change much if you have LTE or not?

Well, don't split my comments to be valid on their own. It was meant on that context you have your phone with you.

• It is a triathlon watch, not a running watch. In regulated triathlon events you aren’t allowed to carry a phone. The LTE gives your long suffering family the ability to see where you are on the course so they can wave to you for the 20 seconds they get over a 5 or 10 hour event. So it is a feature for a very niche market. And, as you say, you need to be able to complete the course before your battery runs out...

• ohh, so cute of you, I bet that's excatctly what Garmin has in mind to let the family know where you are on the track. I find it amazing that when it comes to the fact that you absolutely need LTE in the watch, everyone will find a reason why a smartphone is not an adequate alternative, but if you note that maps are missing on the Enduro, I get constant feedback that you have a smartphone for it. What now?

• What’s the matter here? Some people would like LTE on their watch and many people won’t. Garmin is going to make the watches whether you like it or not. And they’re going to sell them to many happy customers. I might be one of them. I might not. Either way, what do you care?

Also, it looks like it might be a 945 LTE, so you’ll have the option to buy the watch with or without the feature. If you’re just looking for new non-LTE features, than you’ve got the 955 to look forward to. I can’t understand how you can’t understand the arguments people are making in favor of LTE. If you don’t want LTE, don’t buy the watch. 

• I want LTE as my long runs are 16km out and back up hills abroad in a country I haven't learnt the language yet and my girlfriend can pick me up if I'm in trouble. One time I pulled a muscle and had to flag down a car to get home. Also I can text her when I will be home which is very useful for her. I don't run with a phone as I like to run light without a phone bouncing around or having to wear a flipbelt.

• Looks like everything is the same, besides the LTE addition: buy.garmin.com/.../698632

• Check specs, LTE is a bit smaller, more like 745

• Changes according to specs-list:

• bit smaller,
    • bit lighter (1g)
    • subtle changes in the battery-life it seems (pretty obvious though)
    • "relaxation-reminders" are new
    • "Breathwork" is a new gym activity profile
    • Improved interval (includes open repeats, intervals data page, rest screen and auto detection)
    • Pinpointer & handicap scoring as new golfing functions (never used them, so i don't know if the 945 has those too)
    • MTB Grit & Flow
    • eBiking, eMountain Trail Biking

I tried to ignore those newly listed features that were brought to the 945 via updates. Don't know if I did a good job there. But all in all I don't see big changes. At least none that rely on new hardware (except LTE of course).

Edit:

According to the pictures it has got the new "elevate 4" or whatever it's called HR/PulseOx-sensor

• I'm really puzzled at that. Really 945 LTE. Maybe it's the covid times and supply chain problems that has lead to that.