This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Turn by turn Plotaroute/Garmin [SOLVED]

Hi,

I've created a route on Plotaroute.com and generated directions with "snap route to map" option.

Then downloaded it as "fit" file format with course points (directions and turn warnings).

When I copy this file on my Forerunner 945 in GARMIN/NewFiles, I don't have turn by turn !

Is there a way to do this (without going through Garmin Connect) ?

Thanks.

[EDIT]

I identified the origin of the problem, the navigation was simply not started :

• Select Navigate > Courses.
  • Select a course.
  • Select Do Course.

Navigation information appears.

• Select START to begin navigation

... But before the starting point is not detected by the GPS and the watch displays "course started", the navigation is not really started !

• Most of these commenters seem unfamiliar with the core issue here. When a course is sent to the watch from Garmin Connect, turn-by-turn directions are added, but they tend to only be useful for named streets and paths. They can be useless or annoying on trails, where important turns may be missing, or switchbacks may cause alerts every few minutes. Often a user wants to customize the directions. Aside from controlling where turn warnings pop up, one can add points of interest or aid stations and know just how far away they are using data fields like Next Waypoint and Distance to Next. Plotaroute.com is one of the best route tools that will export in the correct format, and bypassing Garmin Connect ensures the user-created directions are not overwritten.

It sounds like OP is doing things right. I've used his general method to get custom turn-by-turn directions on my 645. (Though, I'm not familiar with "snap route to map" offhand.) Perhaps there's an option on the 945 you're missing, i.e., Follow Course instead of Use Map:

www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-4D9C1A64-B6FE-466C-87D7-5A31C3CFDED5.html

• That is strange, mine usually is pretty solid.  I have had an instance or two where the course goes away mid run/ride... but when I create a route even one that is manual it gives me turn notices even if it is just a sharp bend in a trail/road.  

I always create my routes on Strava and they are auto sync'd nicely to Garmin.  Have used the import from people that used other sites or Garmin a few times and those worked well also.

• turn-by-turn directions are added, but they tend to only be useful for named streets and paths

Not really. I have problems with normal streets and paths too.

• It seems like turn warnings are not displayed when paths are not referenced on map. Otherwise no problem.

• I have problems with normal streets and paths too.

Sorry, my bad. I meant: "I have problems with NAMED streets and paths too." Grimacing

• it doesn't do anything to the route when imported. 

It does make forced elevation corrections to every course.

Maybe the elevation data is good where you happen to live or you just don't watch the elevation changes.

• gotcha, good to know - yeah I guess I only look at elevation during the planning stages of a route for run/hike/bike and then after from my Activity.  I only do routes for following a planned route/loop.  I was always just concerned with crazy snap to trail/road issues that could come up if imported from elsewhere.  

• Try it with the ciq app gexport/gimporter, it will not change the fit file. 

I got the following workflow;

Setting watch;

• Turn off t.b.t. alerts 
    • add datafield to map under navigationsettings
    • Turn guidance on
    • Install ciq app gimporter
    • Install ciq app appbuilder 5
    • Make a costum datafield with distance to next point alert, for example (gives first alert at 60m from turn second on 10m from turn);

if(alert(distanceToNextPoint_raw gt 10, 0, 2);alert(distanceToNextPoint_raw lt 60, 2) gt 0, null, null)

• add costum datafield to activity

On the phone:

• Install gexporter 

Last weekend I rode 200km on my bicycle an offroad course without issues, I only had to cut it in parts of 50km because of the 200 coursepoint restrictions of the watch :-)