This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Turn by turn Plotaroute/Garmin [SOLVED]

Hi,

I've created a route on Plotaroute.com and generated directions with "snap route to map" option.

Then downloaded it as "fit" file format with course points (directions and turn warnings).

When I copy this file on my Forerunner 945 in GARMIN/NewFiles, I don't have turn by turn !

Is there a way to do this (without going through Garmin Connect) ?

Thanks.

[EDIT]

I identified the origin of the problem, the navigation was simply not started :

• Select Navigate > Courses.
  • Select a course.
  • Select Do Course.

Navigation information appears.

• Select START to begin navigation

... But before the starting point is not detected by the GPS and the watch displays "course started", the navigation is not really started !

• On the 'Course' creation part of Garmin Connect there is an Import option (small blue text) just under 'Create a Course' button.  When I have used that it asks for "Import a course you've created with another app.
    Files must be .gpx or .tcx format. " so I would give those formats out of Plotaroute a try. 

Otherwise you might just need to use the Import Course feature on GC, that's very easy and works well.

• Thanks for your answer but I precisely don't want to use GC...

• Like I mentioned, I would at least give your original method of drag/drop into watch.  HOWEVER, now that I happen to have watch connected to my computer I see they are .FIT files for Courses, but you were putting in NewFiles... mine are all located in 'Courses' folder.

Why no GC? 'Found' the watch or something...lol?

• I have tried this. But neither in the NEWFILES nor COURSES directory, the FIT file displays the TBT indications.

No, no, lol. Because of TBT's lack of accuracy while using GC, I want to test Plotaroute's one on a known route.

• A bit confused, when I import GPX files of a route from Strava or from a friend etc (even when it has manually drawn sections (off road or near road on paths, etc...mixed into route) ... it doesn't do anything to the route when imported.  So I guess not sure what the hope is.  

The lag or premature turns during an activity in turn by turn occasionally (if that is your issue?) is I'm guessing more of a function of the GPS and predicting speeds of approach to turns, etc.  Not of the route itself.

• In fact Garmin Connect TBT is not always accurate. Some turns are missing for example (regardless of GPS problem). Problems also arise when trails intersect.There is also the fact that we cannot choose the warn distance before turns, etc.

So I want to use Plotaroute instead of GC. With Plotaroute we can see and edit directions, choose warn distance,...

Unfortunately, I can't do it.

Does anyone know the solution ?

• It's the complete lack of TBT alerts that is bothersome...

I too tried several other plotting/routing services, with no luck. TBT alerts remain hit or miss...

• Silentvoyager says "When a course is uploaded directly via USB, bypassing Garmin Connect, TBT directions aren't added"
    Is there really no way to do that ?
    GARMIN, please ?
  • bypassing Garmin Connect
    Is there really no way to do that ?
    GARMIN, please ?
  • This I haven't tried. If I download or create an external track/route file (like from komoot, outdooractive, plotaraoute, etc.) I never copy it to my watch directly. I do a workaround: I send the gpx file through telegram messenger from my laptop, click on it on my mobile phone and choose GCM as the App to open it. This way the route is imported through GCM first, before sending it to my device afterwards. Usualy works great. This way the route is also saved on GC. Of course, when you are on a laptop you can also go to your GC account and import the file.

Actualy, for komoot there is even a third party app (komoot to gpx), so you can do everything on your mobile phone.

But alas, this doesn't help the problem that TBT remains buggy (for me).