This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 935 vs 945 GPS Testing

So I got fed up of the unreliable instant pace on my 945 (had two same problem) and decided to buy a 935 to test the difference. I'll be updating this thread as I carry out more comparisons. 

The first run today I ran the usual route and the 935 instant pace was good whilst the 945 was jumping from 5:00/km to 5:25 and even 5:40/km in the same usual spots it always does. It was strange to see the 935 hold 5:05 as I passed the same 200m stretch the 945 always goes haywire. It's good in open roads but not with trees on either side and not around certain buildings. The map of the 945 tracks was terrible (check out the start of the run around the houses it's WAY out, worst I've seen it's usually not this bad so I'll see what happens in the following days. The laps and overall pace are mostly equal as it is with my FR10. Used GPS only for both watches as GPS only works better on 945.

connect.garmin.com/.../6512294628  945

connect.garmin.com/.../6512297485  935

Clear blue skies. 

Such a shame because I can see all the little improvements made to the 945 now, so many little things that all add up that I will miss, they really refined it for example lap history on a saved activity seeing all laps same screen with heart rate too, the options dialog when starting an activity, the sunrise/set widget having 24 hour numbers and sunlight left, screen is less reflective I can see my face in the 935, the heart rate gauge field, having weekly distance on the watch. But he most important thing is GPS, the GPS is already not great so it's important to have the better one. 945 GPS is flakey for instant pace and I'll like to test it on a shorter workout intervals to see how it performs.

• Well dual-channel has potential to have more accuracy than the MediaTek so it would be improvement to GPS at least in theorical accuracy.

And comparing different modes eg. 945 GPS Only and 935 GPS+GLONASS isn't pretty fair :D So I don't think you can count a win to 945 using different modes.

• What power modes is the reviewer referring too in his "verdict" section of the 945?

• Some say GPS only is more accurate for 945 so it's interesting to test them against their strongest setting. Although today I tested both Glonass and the 945 performed the best it has so far. Will update soon.

• Those watches are even less accurate than 945.

• He is talking about Ultra track feature which saves battery you can change it in Settings GPS mode 

• Some say GPS only is more accurate for 945

That's not true. Accuracy depends on the amount of satellites in view, satellite strength, location, etc.  I've used my watch in several different parts of the world under different conditions and the answer to which is the best configuration is, it depends. 

• He is talking about Ultra track

OK. I thought he was confused and referring to the different power modes you have with the Fenix 6 Series. 

• Todays results both GLONASS.

935 not great

945 does well here until....

ouch! and the 935..

only the 935 is STILL off into the road at least the 945 corrects and back on track. This is the common theme of these watches the 935 is not always great but it's always pretty good and doesn't go haywire like the 945. So the 935 instant pace is pretty solid it doesn't jump up 40 seconds randomly. 

This is the worst I've ever seen (I keep saying this)

935 does not mess up! The orange line should be over the blue but it didn't go haywire. I have never seen the 935 do that. I want to test the 945 vs 935 around the city tomorrow a harder test. 

I did a 25 minute threshold run and both watches still clicked off the same pace, same average for the entire workout. The 935 instant pace was reliable and the 945 too was great (the haywire tracks was on my warmup, the workout tracks were good). No idea how the 945 gets the lap paces correct with those tracks but it even does in the city so if you don't care about instant pace or post workout pace graph then 945 is fine from what I've found.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6536702631
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6537066809

• I am glad you bring up this.

I have the 945 since June 2020. The GPS routes for my runs were perfect until the Sony GPS issue that hit a few devices (Garmin and a few others) on New Year.

From then onwards, the same routes recorded on 945 are really out of whack.