This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Howto edit indoor bike workout (with gradient or other smart trainer) ?

Hello,

Just did my first try with the included "Bike Workout" on my smart trainer (Elite Nero).

I also tried to set the gradient on the watch, it's "fine" but it's not so easy on a roller... also I didn't found an easy way to change the gradient on the fly, if it's possible, how ?

Anyone know a way to edit workout with smart trainer features ?

Thank you very much!

• well you could create:

• a workout based on power ((for example 1min@300w+20sec@260+30sec@290+ 40sec@310w)*3 + 5min@100w - that's the downhill :D) - and when the harder interval comes, just change gears to simulate a hill - or
    • import a hilly know course and play that one on the watch

for example - https://ridewithgps.com/trips/41660311.gpx?sub_format=track / https://ridewithgps.com/trips/41660311?lang=en you can download te gpx track for watopia figure 8 - that's an easy hilly one

• Thank you, if the weather is still bad tomorrow I will try an edited workout I made under Garmin Connect with Power Settings to see how the trainer react (I choose my Power Zone, so it's abstract for me how the trainer could adjust the resistance, a setting of a gradient would be much more understandable for me).

Too late for my neighbors to try tonight... 

• Your smart trainer has two modes which are very different.

Sim-mode: In this mode, the trainer sets the Resistance to simulate a certain gradient. You can use your gears and cadence to decide how much power you want to invest.

Erg-mode: In this mode the trainer dynamically adjusts the resistance to match a predefined power. As power is a product of cadence and torque, the trainer will try to compensate for your changes in cadence in order to keep power constant. This also means that changing gears will not make a difference as the trainer will try to compensate for the new gear.

Sim-mode is nice if you wan't your trainer to simulate a certain terrain and you wan't to ride like outdoor using your gears. Erg mode on the other hand is much better for a workout as it makes it keeps you in a certain power zone no matter what. That's also the reason why many professionals nowerdays use the trainer - it's just so much easier to run controlled intervalls.

On most trainers erg mode works best if you are on the small chaining and somewhere in the upper part of your cassette. Just set that gear in the beginning and don't shift until you are done with the workout. Another poin't to keep in mind is that "speed" and "distance" are not useful metrics on the smart trainer. Especially so in erg-mode.

• For "fixed" power I can understand it really well, but not for power zones, I'll see how it reacts later.

I don't think small chaining (I am on an old bike, with an old Tiagra with 3*9 speeds) would be a good way to be on a roller for me : I would fall ;-)

Thank you very much for your explanations.

• This also means that changing gears will not make a difference as the trainer will try to compensate for the new gear.

actually not - you can produce 250w with 53-13 at 70 rpm or you can produce the same 250w with 39-17 at 85 rpm. indeed, the trainer will compensate with adding resistance but by switching gears, you'll be actually practicing cadence.once you finish the 'hard set of ~300w', you can change back to the big wheel, to simulate downhill or flat. so to summarize it - in erg mode you can also ride in the gears that will simulate your outside riding technique.

• Sorry you are wrong. Power is defined only by cadence and torque - basic physics. At a given cadence you need to apply a certain torque to reach the power. Gears don't make a difference in this calculation. If you feel a difference it's either because your trainer is to weak, to slow or you outspinned it (flyweel speed to high).

• If you select a power range (zone) the watch will just set the power in the middle of the range.

• Big fail in my testings today : no resistance are set by the 945 to the trainer.

I have to say I am disappointed.

Same with the ftp test which is really hard to "do" without adding resistance.

• Power is defined only by cadence and torque

250w = 3.125NM * 80 rpm and the same 250w = 2.77NM * 90 rpm. of course you can spin faster (on the same gearing) without switching gears and achieve the same 250w, but if you do switch from 53 -> 39, you'll have a more natural response to what you're supposed to turn when climbing a real mountain (as you won't be climbing with 53/15). 

edit - here's the analysis i knew i've read before - https://blog.wahoofitness.com/erg-mode-gear-selection-matter/ and the video https://youtu.be/uHUOhmG04M8 

• Ouch, I tried to set a single power in the watch and it was searching for a smart trainer even if I was connected to the  Nero.

I removed the Nero from the Trainer's sensors and added it again in Smart Trainer's sensors and this time I was able to set a resistance.

I'll try another FTP test with it after work :-)

The message didn't post at lunch time. SO COOL : it's working, thank you very much all (maybe it's also related to 5.09 beta?) and specially garmin for having added the smart trainer to our watch !!!