This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Walking around WHR and updated?

Hi All,

I got the 5.0 update and my HR seemed to be reading wrong when I was just walking around. It would go from 60's to 90's just walking to go to the bathroom.  I tried my wife's 935 and it was more stable, and tried to put my HR strap on and it was better.  Garmin sent me a new watch because they didn't this being an issue, but with the brand new one, I'm still seeing major swings that don't line up with either my strap monitor or my phone.  Anyone else seen this from 4.?? to 5.0?

Thanks

• Jup, I had pretty much the same: forums.garmin.com/.../did-ohr-whr-measurement-change-in-5-00-sw-update

A reset after the 5.0 update has pretty much solved it for me though 

• They sent me a new watch (their choice) can you give me the reset steps you did? I tired that with my first watch, but if you can give me the steps, I'd appreciate it. 

• they are in that other thread somewhere. 

What I did is after the 5.0 upgrade was done to hold the power button (top left) for 15+ seconds past the SOS notification and everything until it turns off and then after a short wait turn it back on again. After that my OHR readings were pretty normal again.

• Same for me. As soon as I walk it goes to 110+. This isn’t correct, using a chest strap it should be in the 70s. Tried holding the power 15+ second and rebooting. It didn’t help. 

• At the beginning of a walk, it's very easy for the watch to latch onto your cadence instead of heart beat. This is caused by your blood pressure being so low that heart beat is overshadowed by your wrist movement and big leg muscles pumping blood around. This is even more common when it's cold outside and your wrist is exposed to cold (decreases surface circulation, making it more difficult for the watch to read anything).

This problem can happen with every wrist heart rate monitor I've owned, regardless of brand. It also depends on your cadence, whether you were "warmed up" when you started walking, etc. In my personal experience the watch usually will latch onto the heart rate correctly later (and then may loose it for a while later, when going uphill causes both your cadence and heart rate to change rapidly at the same time).

If your problem started after a firmware update, it might still be just weather getting colder (depending where you live, of course), or maybe Garmin changed some parameters in wrist heart rate detection, causing it to work less reliably for you (and maybe more reliably for some others).

• That didn't help, but thanks!

• I'm just frustrated that something that was working and consistent is not anymore.. I can I've had garmin's for years and this seems to happen - break something while they fix another thing and then claim "it's fine" when there is evidence that it isn't.   I can literally watch my watch jump around and when I do things like go to get on my bike, hr on my wrist will show 100 and then instantly when it connects to my strap, it's 75. Let's not talk about my 243 when I'm in the shower with my HRM off and my watch on the bench :) I'll accept with some craziness from being wet and two things next to each other :) 

• 5.09 (which includes WHR 1.00.02) seems to have improved it for me.

• so, i'm on WHR - 0.09.00 - how do i upgrade that specifically? is there a way? 

• Beta releases are at the top of this forum. This is the one I’m on that improved it for me:

forums.garmin.com/.../beta---forerunner-945-5-09-now-available