This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Step counter counter stops during bike activity after upgrade to 5.00. How to enable it again?

After upgrade to 5.0 zero steps are counted during bike activities. How can the step counter be enable again?

• If you are biking, there should not be any steps to count?

I think Garmin's steps has been steps, not some "activity level that we call as steps", as you don't get steps form activities where you don't take steps. I don't think that it has much changed in 5.00, I think it has always been like that.

• As says there should be no steps counted during cycling...or swimming or any sport where you don’t actually take steps. This has been an ongoing discussion since GARMIN introduced step counting way back when. Some want an equivalent step metric for other non-step activities, some didn’t. I’m firmly in the category of those who don’t see the logic in counting steps for non-step activities.

• Some want an equivalent step metric for other non-step activities, some didn’t.

And what would those even be? Based on distance/stride length? In cycling you would get just ridiculous amount of steps.

Smartest that quickly comes to my mind if based on time. Quick Google says "Cadence is the rate at which a person walk, expressed in steps per minute. The average cadence is 100 - 115 steps/min.", so let's say just that 100. So you would get 100 steps every minute of doing some activity where you don't walk. So 1 hour of something would be 6000 steps. 

But then the steps would not be steps anymore, just some "activity level that we call as steps". So I agree, I think this is good, even if is kind of annoying if you set yourself a step target and have been cycling 4 hours and damn! 

• I had to push my MTB uphill over a steep slope on the weekend and have recognized neither steps nor floors were counted. I wonder why this has been changed and not stated I the list of changes.

• I'm riding MTB a lot and never since a year and a half have had any steps/floors accumulated while in activity.

I'm not sure why you had it in the previous versions as I haven't had it.

• I wonder why this has been changed and not stated I the list of changes.

That's easy, because there has been no change. I think it's just too hard to guess steps versus vibration during riding of MTB activity so it's easier just not count any steps as you are riding.

• I always put the watch round my ankle when on the turbo and it recorded steps. That's stopped since the software update to 5.0, registers nothing. So something has definitely changed with this update 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

hi,

why would it stop recording steps while other activities it records steps as well ?

to verify other firmware versions post the links to the ride activities with and without steps recorded

(or post the fit files from these ride activities)

happy & safe sporting

• it didn’t count steps when you pushed your bike up the steep slope because it can’t. It the same like pushing a stroller or shopping cart: if you grip the wheeled device to tight, there is not enough movement in your arm/wrist. This was always that way and is also that way if outside any activity. 

• I think what the op is trying to say is that during a cycling activity the steps function  now seems to be completely disabled with this update. If you got off your bike, left it and went for a walk without pausing the activity it used to record steps. I always wore my watch round my ankle when on the turbo and collected steps. Now steps aren't recorded at all. It's a change in the watches behaviour that doesn't seem to have been documented. It might bother some people, others not. Obviously bothers the op, hence the question.