This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Open Street Maps vs Open Topo Maps - what is the difference?

Hello,

As there is some problem with garmin maps (and they are not really doing anything about it) I decided to use differnet maps in my watch.

Can you tell me please what is the difference between the maps I mentioned in the topic?
1. http://garmin.opentopomap.org/
2. http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I tired to find some comparison but I couldn't find any...

Which one would be better for our forerunners?
Slight smile

• There is one huge difference - they inform us that they know about the problem and they are working on it

So, if you're not "kept in the loop" with the status, it's you're assumption it's not being looked into?  Fair enough and an honest answer.  I don't believe that justifies posting that Garmin isn't working on it, but I appreciate the clarification.  I initial said this was a bold statement because it didn't go into detail.  I didn't know if you were told by Garmin it wasn't being looked into by email, online chat, phone or private message.  This is why I asked for clarification.  Apparently this struck a nerve with several posters.  There are many user's world wide that use this forum and some take every word literally, so I personally feel it's important to be careful with our wording, or be prepared to explain our words.  It was nothing personal.  Hopefully this will be resolved for you soon.  Stay safe and well KrzysiekJar.

• If you're the Garmin engineer you DO need to read that you're doing nothing about it because IF YOU ARE working on it, it tells you that you need to communicate that it's being worked on. And IF YOU'RE NOT working on it, it tells you that a customer is having trouble that you may not be aware of. So it is not misinformation at all. In fact, it states some fairly explicit facts.

1. There's a problem.
    2. The customer believes nobody is working on it.
    3. Because the customer believes nobody is working on it, they're looking for alternatives.

How you choose to react to those facts is a representation of your approach to customer relationships. You can be defensive, put walls up and say I don't need to hear this. Or you can engage with the customer and help them to a resolution and learn something that can improve your approach.