This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Connection, Device not recognized (but it charges)

I've loved my 945 for the past 6 months.  I have started having problems connecting to my PC desktop (Windows 10).  Everything has been fine up to this point, but now the device is not recognized by the computer.  when plugged in via USB, the 945 starts charging, but the computer makes the "connecting"/'unconnecting" sounds, but the 945 does not appear in Garmin Express.  I can sync with my phone fine OTA, but cannot connect to sync with my PC.  Again, when plugged in the phone begins charging but does not appear in GE.  This is new, prior to today, everything worked fine.

[No new windows 10 updates recently]

[I have updated Garmin Express to 7.0.0.0.  It seems to now no longer connect after i updated it.]

[I did notice that one of the 4 connector "nubs" on the back of the watch appears to be grey while the others appear copper.  It seems like some sort of coating has been worn off.  Not sure if that makes the usb connection unstable or not.]

Any advice on how to fix the usb connection to my PC?

Thanks, 

Chris

Houston, TX

• I have just faced the same problem. When I plugged my device into PC USB port, nothing happened on PC, and just the heart rate sensor was constantly blinking. Sometimes the device started to charge and sometimes not. The reason was in the data cable, one of its' spring-loaded contacts is sitting a bit deeper than others, I think the spring under that pin is worn out. I've tried to pull it back with tweezers, and then I've cleaned the pins of the cable and contacts of the watches with eraser, and data connection started to work again. Try to clean the contacts of both cable and watches. And also when the cable is plugged into watches, try to move the plug slightly in its seat, maybe you will find the plug position in which data connections works

• About grey contact on the watches' connector - if it is shiny grey then it should not be a problem, but if it is muddy grey, then it's covered with oxide, you should carefully try to remove the oxide layer with the pencil eraser, or with some alcohol, the goal is to make it shiny again. The last resort is to remove the layer by scraping it with a sharp blade, but this is really the last thing I would try to do. Maybe I would try some brightener first.

• Seems to have fixed the problem.  I used an eraser and it now seems to be recognized.  If it happens again, I'll try out a new cable.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

• Many thanks for suggestions. I used an eraser too.

Murat.

• thx should try it too

• same problem here!!!!

I even got a brand new mac AND a new usb-c connection cable .....

Really sad cause you have to try and try :/

• This has resumed.  I got a new cable.  Still happens again and again.  It seems that the contacts on the phone get corroded or rusted or...

• It seems that the contacts on the phone get corroded or rusted or...

On the phone?

If you mean on the watch then the simple solution to avoid problems in the future is to ensure you rinse in clean water after use and thoroughly dry the watch before connecting the cable.

• Oops.  My bad, yes watch.

• I've had same problem all day. Decided to go to my box of 5-30 yr old cables and found only 1 that would connect to the Garmin. I was getting all sorts of wacky results with my Garmin original cable. Needless to day, it worked first time. Only difference is the 'new' cable has a ferrite core and is maybe a foot shorter. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Couldn't figure how to add pic so found 1 on internet. Copyright infringement?