This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No news on 4.41 successor?

Beta 4.41 has been out for a while now but so far no indication of a new, stable/final firmware... I understand there is the Covid-19 issue so just wondering if all development is halted or should we expect a new firmware (final or beta) anytime soon...

Thanks in advance,

• Well, for years Garmin's products had lots of FirstBeat metrics inside so I don't see your point... what I expect is that even more Garmin products will get FirstBeat metrics in the future

This is exactly what I'm saying.  Garmin paid licensing fees to FirstBeat to put those features on their watches.  Not every device had every feature.  Now that Garmin acquired FirstBeat and there's no need to pay licensing fees, I think more metrics will come to Garmin watches that previously didn't have them.  

(specially the cheaper ones)

So, you think these will come only to newer devices since you believe the 945 is done?

• 945 has almost all the metrics from FirstBeat. Garmin has already said that they will upgrade the sleep metrics (see DCRainmaker post on this) and something else may come up but I do expect more metrics for the upcoming cheaper models (not all metrics in all models as the metrics do help selling some models but more than what we see now).

Difficult to say which metrics will be added to each line but there should be more...

And while talking about the next generation... I do expect an improvement in Sony's GPS chipset or Garmin moving back to the old one (can't remember the manufacturer now..)

• Garmin has already said that they will upgrade the sleep metrics

Someone posted all of the FirstBeat metrics on the F6 forum.  There were 22 and the 945 has 18.  If you're aware of the 945 getting future updates and you believe this to be the case, why would you say...

The way it looks this product/project is on the cold fridge while a new one is being prepared.

... which was my original question?

• so only 4 metrics more to the F6 what is expected in my opinion.

The lack/slow pace of updates (not necessarily to bring new functions/metrics but to sort the numerous other issues reported at this forum) is what makes me say that... there are reports of issues controlling headphones for ages (I don't use so doesn't affect me but it is a known issue), battery and GPS (both which for me matter the most), etc...

These should be sorted by now and are not. I do understand the whole Covid-19 can cause a delay but looking at other Garmin devices I don't think that is the real reason, for me looks more that Garmin realised 945 project have some issues that they will not overcome easily so better to concentrate efforts in a different project and move on. That's, again, MY OPINION and that's what I believe. If Garmin proves I am wrong I may become a happy 945 owner but as I said before I do miss my 935... 

BTW my main complaint on the 935 was the altimeter and the 945 altimeter is, at least for me, as bad as it was... 

• there are reports of issues controlling headphones for ages (I don't use so doesn't affect me but it is a known issue)

I have the Bose SoundSport Free's and have never had a problem.  So, the reports are for some, not all, and those are user specific.

, battery and GPS (both which for me matter the most),

My battery life and GPS work great.  I've read post that have agreed and disagreed with me.  Again, user specific so I don't see how that's a 945 issue.

BTW my main complaint on the 935 was the altimeter and the 945 altimeter is, at least for me, as bad as it was... 

Hmm?  I actually find the addition of calibrating using DEM and the option to calibrate outside an activity to be much better than what I'm able to get with my 935.  I didn't have many issues with my 935, but I find the 945 to be much better in this aspect.

These should be sorted by now and are not.

I guess if you're having these problems you'd say that and want an update in the hopes that they'll be fixed.  I on the other hand don't have any of this issues you mentioned and I'm not waiting on an update to fix anything because nothing is broken in my opinion.   I'm just waiting on any new features Garmin may throw my way and see how they work out.  Anyway, you answered my initial question when you replied and said it was just your opinion.  I just wanted to clarify.  There's a huge difference when telling someone all cats make worthless pets, as opposed to saying, in my opinion or belief, all cats make worthless pets.

• I think that you are right. I have 5 Garmin devices in my family and everyone receives updates much more often than 945. I am very disappointed in supporting this model. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to sdantasbvi

it's bad that 945's battery life is not good as 935.

• What I don't understand about the whole Garmin Fenix  / Forerunner / Vivo series firmwares - is they all must fundamentally be the same hardware at a very base level, with features added / removed based on price point - even with the cheaper end models having the hardware, but not turned on.

Why there isn'a coherent base OS across the Garmin line - beats me. Even things down to the Weather widget is different between devices - that seems a lot of wasteful programming and effort. (we know there is shared code, as we accidentally got the fenix weather widget on the previous beta - only to be reverted on final release)

Instead we have this fragmented issue where we can all see the new 'goodies' that the fenix series is getting via successive betas, yet their premium multi-sport device is slowly being left behind - yet hardware wise it seems identical apart from the ruggedness.

As to comments about you should only buy hardware on the features it has a point of sale - if you compare (on the garmin website) the side by side comparisons of the fenix 6 and the 945 - apart from a couple of minor differences they are the same, so you would expect the 945 to follow the fenix as and when new features are added.

• I do agree that the hardware is basically the same and that would make sense to have a coherent base OS across... that's noticeable even with some upgrades and betas with exactly or almost the same changelog (and issues).

One (bigger) team developing would make things easier and smoother...

• Maybe they want to sell as much Fenixes as possible to reach some profit goal, and they think that a potential customer will choose Fenix over Forerunner because of some features that Fenix has and which Forerunner doesn't have. As soon as they reach that goal, they will bring Fenix's features to FR945 as well.

Xiaomi did this partially with their vacuums, when they released the 3rd version one of the selling point of which were the ability to divide the area map by areas called rooms, and perform per-room cleanup rather than simple zone cleanup. And also they announced an improved navigation algorithm which allows new version to clean more thoroughly. More later they've made these features available to the older version as well just by updating its firmware.