This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR zones for training : comparison between LT / MHR / HRR with Garmin default percentages

Hello, In Garmin you can set your heart rate zones using Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) or Heart Rate Reserve (HRR). Default percentages are based on MHR but they look more suitable for HRR. Click on the link, set your MHR and Resting Heart Rate (RHR) and check differences of beats between MHR and HRR modes with Garmin default percentages. Then, if you want, you can use my own percentages for MHR based on pace for endurance fundamental, marathon, half marathon and 10km.

Comparison MHR / HRR

Comparison LT / MHR / HRR

Cheers

• there are several methods of doing hr based training and honestly i would use the lactate hr value, as you'll run a race at lactate hr, not the max hr; that said - for the lactate hr value there's a test on the device, and as for the mhr - you could do a lab test (by doing this you'll get the lactate as well) or with a proper warm-up - some (2-3) hill reps of 150-200m where you push it to the limit; by the second or third lap you'll reach that mhr value for sure :-). if these values are properly determined, you watch will also give you proper data about training effect and so on. 

• Thanks for info, I think I'll stick with lactate hr then. I've just read on Garmin website pages that to get accurate estimates of LT, the max HR value should also be set properly, so I'll have to perform those hill runs anyway )

• Do these tests with a chest strap to be more certain of obtaining reliable results with a higher degree of accuracy.

• The max HR estimation techonology is scarily good these days. A couple of years ago I did Firstbeat's "Lifestyle assesment analysis" (paid by my employer), which involved wearing their gadget with electrodes to my chest & side for 3 days. During those days I did nothing except regular outdoor walks, and in the results my max HR was estimated to be 178 (I'm 51 years old). The next year I participated in a professional test done on a computer-controlled stationary bike & HRM strap. The test only took my HR to ~145, and the results estimated my max HR to be 178 also. I've used that since, but yesterday I decided to update & check the figure by doing exactly the kind of hill-running exercise you described. In the end my HR got up to... 177 (and considering that the max HR typically drops 0.7-1 points per year, that's 100 % in line with the estimates). :)

• I will, have already installed new fresh battery there)

• Maybe you are lucky. The best solution to know your MHR is doing an effort test or reps : 12x30/30 or 10x400m etc.

• Which percentages do you use for lactate threshold ?

• What does 12x30/30 mean?

• 12 sets of 30s hard 30s rest

• It does not require a hill, does it? Seems better for me, as I have to get out of the city to find some )