This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR zones for training : comparison between LT / MHR / HRR with Garmin default percentages

Hello, In Garmin you can set your heart rate zones using Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) or Heart Rate Reserve (HRR). Default percentages are based on MHR but they look more suitable for HRR. Click on the link, set your MHR and Resting Heart Rate (RHR) and check differences of beats between MHR and HRR modes with Garmin default percentages. Then, if you want, you can use my own percentages for MHR based on pace for endurance fundamental, marathon, half marathon and 10km.

Comparison MHR / HRR

Comparison LT / MHR / HRR

Cheers

• Awesome, thanks a *lot*! This is actually the first page on the web I found that has side-by-side zone percentage for MHR and HRR that look reasonable.

• Thanks a lot! Good work. I will try it

• Thanks @slow and  for your comment. You can click on the link in the spreadsheet or here to get more data : 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/122ZwaVmso-2HkMLK93Ham4KMX-dQvR1bPnWzLVy7LaM/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy !

• Hi, I added Lactate Threshold in spreadsheet if you want to compare more.

• Thanks!

Oh, and it would be awesome if you could share references for the numbers of the different zones. I wish Garmin would incorporate sensible ranges into their devices and not ranges that are exactly the same for HRR and MHR which is total nonsense afaict.

What is the basis for the specific HRR zones you came up with? Thanks!

• I agree, it is a nonsense to offer same percentages for MHR and HRR. And Garmin use MHR with wrong percentages as default method on their devices… If you use HRR it is ok but you have to know your resting heart rate (RHR) and at the end the gap (let's say 48bpm and 53bpm for example) won't change your HRR so better you use MHR with good percentages.

As you can see on the other spreadsheet my own percentages are based on average heart rate on marathon (85% of MHR), half marathon (90%) and for 10km (95%). I am sure you will find informations about that on Internet. Then for fundamental endurance, i set 77% but it is better if you don't exceed 75%. With 77% my watch doesn't vibrate/sound every 2 minutes and at the end of my run i get 74% of MHR (you can set a data field in your watch to check during your run). Finally, i try to have a linear increase because bpm increases in porportion of the effort.

• Hi! I see the different between the ways of calculation and I understand it mathematically but I don’t understand the sense behind it.

My max hr buy my age 

is 155.

My rest hr is 57. 

If I use only the max until 77  it is no zone.

50% is 78 - 92

60% is 93 - 108

70% is 109 - 123

80% is 124 - 139

90% is 140 - 154

155 is 100%.

When I use the resting HRR I get  the following:

Until 105 is No Zone.

50% is 106 - 115

60% is 116 - 125

70% is 126 - 134

80% is 135 - 144

90% is 145 - 154

100% is 155.

So rpthere are differences between the systems as you demonstrate in your tables.

When I use the easy system, th3 one of the Max HR my VO2 Max improve much much too fast for almost doing nothing.

Using the Rest HR system I have to work much harder  just to remain in my VO2 Max.

So wha5 is the “right” way?

How did you decide about your percentage?

Thanks a lot

• Hi! I see the different between the ways of calculation and I understand it mathematically but I don’t understand the sense behind it.

My max hr buy my age 

is 155.

My rest hr is 57. 

If I use only the max until 77  it is no zone.

50% is 78 - 92

60% is 93 - 108

70% is 109 - 123

80% is 124 - 139

90% is 140 - 154

155 is 100%.

When I use the resting HRR I get  the following:

Until 105 is No Zone.

50% is 106 - 115

60% is 116 - 125

70% is 126 - 134

80% is 135 - 144

90% is 145 - 154

100% is 155.

So rpthere are differences between the systems as you demonstrate in your tables.

When I use the easy system, th3 one of the Max HR my VO2 Max improve much much too fast for almost doing nothing.

Using the Rest HR system I have to work much harder  just to remain in my VO2 Max.

So wha5 is the “right” way?

How did you decide about your percentage?

Thanks a lot

• My method is based on average heart rate for good runners on marathon (85% MHR), half marathon (90% MHR) and 10km (95% MHR).

About my spreadsheet i want to show the difference between the 3 methods with Garmin default percentages. If you use MHR, you will always run in "under intensity". If you use LT, the zone 2 is too high…

When you train with HR : use a heart rate monitor to know your max HR (forget the method : 220 - age). Important : after 40 years old check your heart rate in a medical service.

• Thanks for the tables! How do I find out my max HR? Should I just wear my chest HRM and run as long and as fast as I can?