This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How many of you have changed pulse ox setting as COVID-19 measure or thought about it?

I've always thought that SpO2 is just waste of battery life, but now as it might be good indicator with
COVID-19 that you will need help I decided to put it on as 24/7. Good to get some baseline first if one might caught it.

As the forums have been quieter than usually, let's ask this. Interested to know have others thought about this.

• PulseOx is a red herring.

The physiological metrics you want to watch: HRV stress (as it's a proxy for allostatic load - the "wear and tear" your body is under), Body Battery (which is just a running total of HRV stress over time), and resting heart rate.

If you're getting sick and in the absence of any other external factors, you can expect a rise in RHR and HRV, and a steady drop in Body Battery which may bottom out for days.

Source: FirstBeat whitepapers, and real-world experience with pneumonia.

• Of course I'm watching resting rate also. It usually picks normal flu couple of days before, if you notice to watch it, usually you don't feel good and look it and ah, ok.

It's just extra.

But links to sources would be good? At least with COVID-19 they are measuring the SpO2 in the hospitals also to determine the treatment, so if they are measuring it, it tells them something.

So can't really agree with that red herring in totally, I agreed if you only try to watch it, but adding it on top of the others no.

Also as at least here the instructions is if you get sick, stay home.. only if it gets serious get help, and I think SpO2 is one good indicator if it gets serious.

• Monitoring pulse ox as a way of detecting oncoming illness is a bit pointless as you have to be quite ill before it starts to drop. In the case of this virus you'll have a fever and a dry cough before your lung function starts to deteriorate, but if you do have to call for help it might strengthen your case if you can tell them what your O2 saturation is.

As CJOttawa has pointed out, there are other metrics on the 945 which are useful as an early warning sign.

After nearly a year of using the 945 I know what is normal for me, and without fail if I am feeling less than 100% this is reflected in data produced by the watch. In the case of an oncoming cold I see a gradual decline, if I have an evening with too much too drink I see an instant drop.

With this COVID-19 going around I follow social distancing guidelines, try to go to bed at a sensible time (I've set myself a limit of 11pm) and get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet and avoid alcohol as much as possible. I also avoid other stressors during the evening so for instance I will only check the news during the day. Watching The Donald talking about things he clearly doesn't understand just before bedtime is not a good idea. I check my body battery and RHR on waking up and after that don't worry about it for the rest of the day

I work in a sector (aviation) which has almost come to a stop right now. For the last 15 years I have been working irregular hours and I have taken the current situation as an opportunity to switch off and recharge. I try not to worry about what I cannot control (as bad as it is, I cannot do anything to prevent the spread of this virus in large cities. Me getting angry on InYourFaceBook is not going to change anyone's behaviour in London or New York) and take charge of what I can control. The result is that I feel better rested than I have in a long time.

Take care of yourself and those around you and remember that right now staying healthy (in body and in mind) is more important than staying fit.

• Monitoring pulse ox as a way of detecting oncoming illness
    as it might be good indicator with
    COVID-19 that you will need help

You and CJOttawa are missing the point, pulse ox is not about detecting oncoming illness, it's about is your illness so bad that you will need medical assistance.

What tess shared is more on to the point.

• you have to be quite ill before it starts to drop. In the case of this virus you'll have a fever and a dry cough before your lung function starts to deteriorate

It is very important to point out that this is absolutely not the case. I work in the medical field and can tell you symptoms are a fever, cough, tiredness and difficulty breathing, but you may not experience all symptoms so there is no order.  In some instances, one may be infected and only notice a shortness in breath.  A low pulse ox measurement doesn't mean you have the virus, nor does having any of the other symptoms I mentioned, but it is something to monitor and be aware of and not dismissed just because you have no cough or fever. 

• I try not to worry about what I cannot control (as bad as it is, I cannot do anything to prevent the spread of this virus in large cities. Me getting angry on InYourFaceBook is not going to change anyone's behaviour in London or New York) and take charge of what I can control

There are things in your control that can help prevent the spread of the virus. Continue to practice "social distancing" and give other's their space. Keep your hands clean and clean surfaces that come in contact with other people often.  You may be surprised how far leading by example and social pressure has on how others act. 

• I don't get the aversion to just leaving PulseOx on all the time.  I run a decent amount of miles per week (45-50 lately... training for a full that got cancelled Monday.  Disappointed), and I still only have to top my watch off twice a week.  The 945 is also the fastest charging Garmin I've ever had, so it doesn't even take that long.  I had the same battery issue many of us did with 3.9/4.0, but 4.2 has been money.  The GPS still needs fine tuning, and it would be a plus if they'd add the animated workouts from the Fenix 6/Venu, but the watch right now is pretty close to perfect IMO.  As I voted, I sleep with the watch on, with PulseOx going as well.  

• Thanks for clarifying that tess

• Yep, that's why I say I take charge of what I can control.