This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How many of you have changed pulse ox setting as COVID-19 measure or thought about it?

I've always thought that SpO2 is just waste of battery life, but now as it might be good indicator with
COVID-19 that you will need help I decided to put it on as 24/7. Good to get some baseline first if one might caught it.

As the forums have been quieter than usually, let's ask this. Interested to know have others thought about this.

• I had not read the fine manual. Found this:

https://support.garmin.com/en-IE/?faq=SK2Y9a9aBp5D6n4sXmPBG7

"Why is my Pulse Ox reading low?

If your Pulse Ox during sleep reading seems low, it may not necessarily indicate low pulse ox saturation.  Your arm position can influence blood flow to your wrist and can adversely affect readings, typically making them lower than they really are.  Where possible, maintain a position that is conducive to good circulation and at or around heart level."

So in theory the two measurements should be the same, but they are not (at least, not for everyone). Readings can be lower.

A pilot's experience with PulseOx (D2 Delta PX aviator watch): https://www.aviationconsumer.com/accessories/garmins-wrist-pulse-ox-reduced-accuracy/

BTW Realizing that the night readings are probably off, and finding the red glow creepy when I wake up at night and happen to see it, I'm switching PulseOx off. 

EDIT: Not well expressed, my apologies. English is not my native language. I meant that in the dark the red LED light makes my wrist 'glow' red around the watch, even when it is worn really tight. I happen to find it looks sort of weird. The green OHR light is not having that effect.

• finding the red glow creepy when I wake up at night and happen to see it, I'm switching PulseOx off.

Hmm?  I wonder if this poster also gets creeped out at traffic lights when night driving? Of all the reasons I've heard for someone not using the Pulse Ox sensor, this has to be the most ridiculous. 

• Be reasonable he also said it was because it appears that arm position during the night could affect the reading. 

There is no need for ridicule.

1. Recent NY Times article said that using a pulse ox meter at home could save your life. Many people are arriving at ERs with no apparent breathing issues, but their blood oxygen is already down to a critical level. (Silent Hypoxia.)
  • I bought an oxymeter from a pharmacy and its values are quite different compared to the 945's.

The 945 shows much lower values, for example 88-92%, while the pharmacy oxymeter shows 97%+. What happens now, don't know.

• Any indication on pulse ox improvement? Mine has always been so off its laughable, if I believed it I'd have to be running to the ER daily since 85-94% is the range it sits. I like the data collecting possibility, but as it is right now its pretty useless and hoping for improvements some day so it can become somewhat of a relevant stat to look at with this watch. I was hoping it may reveal insight into sleep apnea, but it will have long segments of strange low readings even during the day..at this point it seems useless. And yes even when fit is good, no lung disease or health issues, no pattern which could be sleep apnea, no covid, errors have been since day one and persist while using pulse ox readers on my finger showing 99% many times...

• I wouldnt rely on this watch for that, buy a $20ish pulse ox reader off Amazon, its in a completely different category than this reader on the watch.. 

• I upgraded to the Vivoactive 4S last spring for that feature alone, after reading about people arriving in ERs much sicker than they felt due to low blood oxygen. 

• OK, its a nice idea, and should be useful for that, but its sadly just not accurate enough to use though. I'm not sure what you would go to the hospital for, if it shows below 70%?? You'd never want to let it ACTUALLY get that low, you'd be dying/dead. No idea if the watch could detect a real low pulse ox when it will sometimes say 85% when I'm at 99% verified with a different medical pulse ox. (85% you should go to the hospital). Typically it will never show me above 94% (again wrong wrong wrong)

• Mine has always been so off its laughable

I've always thought that the trend would be better indicator than the value itself.. but yes, the value itself is too low.