This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 955 Status

What is the latest timing expectation for the Garmin Forerunner 955? I’m trying to hold off replacing my 935 and am getting anxious.

• What do you think, will there be another new Forerunner this year? The 245M with a little better quality? So a 655? The Fenix 6x is great, but too big for me. :-(

• I would say no for 945 replacement. Next year. Even there are rumours that it would be coming this year, I'm very sceptical.

655 or something similar more probably. 

• Late to the party, but ...

Use Case:  Pocket-free runs.  Dad here, and I go on long runs pocket-free while staying connected to what's happening at home.  Lunch pickup, grocery store run, something i've committed to and forgotten about.

Use Case 2:  Pocket-free runs.  Chick out for a run, but wants to stay connected because something has her spooked.  She can call a friend, let them know where she is and what's happening

Use Case 3:  Pocket-free runs.  Head out for a quick jog at lunch, SHTF at work.

It all comes down to pocket-free runs, and minimizing what is carried.  I never have my phone with me; I don't really get why i'd want a watch that tracks everything if I'm planning to carry my phone that also tracks everything....

• So you would want it to be a phone? 

I've always thought that when people talk about LTE they want data as LTE more about that. "Long-Term Evolution (LTE) is a standard for wireless broadband communication for mobile devices and data terminals, based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA technologies.". - Wikipedia

Use case 1: How? You don't probably expect to look at videos with the watch, so how are you connected? Can they just text/im you? Phone you? But if it's up to them, how are you connected to home, if you can't decide and the action starts from home? If they just don't let you know and something happens?

Use case 2: Phone

Use case 3: How are they telling you about it hitting the fan? Calling you? Does your Garmin have the same number? Or do you always remember to make call redirect? Or text/im? Or how are you expecting to get notified?

• I can't understand Garmin's product policy. They get bogged down in too many different watches like the vivoactive 4 versions and editions. For triathlon or running are two versions enough.
    The only one missing is a Fenix ​​6 sport version with a lightweight and slim case like the very comfortable to wear forerunner 245 with a 1,3" screen. The 945 is a joke with that recycled 935 case and the small screen.
    Maybe also as normal, pro and lte version.

• I'm antsy.  I have a 935 and the 945 offered too few improvements.  That said a 945 plus with a 1.3" screen at the same price point as the 945 would be enough to tip the scales for me.  I don't want a larger case and I don't want the weight of a Fenix.  The struggle is real...I am now stalking the website too frequently!

• the new Edge 1030 Plus will come with a new feature called "daily workout suggestions", could be come on new watches too, or with firmware Updates on 945 too?

The Edge 1030 Plus suggests for daily training based on the training load of the past few days and the current VO2max workouts. The training suggestions, which are usually divided into several sections, also show the expected aerobic and anaerobic training effect.

• Ooh! The last missing feature from Firstbeat's Athele program that they discontinued :)

At least it had Virtual Coach that did suggestions like that. Interesting to see if it's the same Firstbeat algorithm or just the same idea.

I don't think that it will come to older watches, as it's something to sell the new one's and if it's Firstbeat then licensing...

• Not sure about timing, but I'm not expecting a 955 before April 2021 to be honest.

What would really be a great feature is intelligent battery modes, like on the Suunto 9. I'll remind me on Saturday evening to charge, because Sunday morning is usually my long-run time. That is really a splendid feature! Basically that is something that they could already implement on current watches as well, as this is mainly a software change.