This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 955 Status

What is the latest timing expectation for the Garmin Forerunner 955? I’m trying to hold off replacing my 935 and am getting anxious.

• Due tomorrow...or the day after.you read this.

• Unless your 935 is at death's door, just wait.  I had a 935 and now have a 945, and you really aren't missing that much.  Some of the new stuff is cool, but in no way worth the steep upgrade price.  

• I had a 935 and now have a 945, and you really aren't missing that much.  Some of the new stuff is cool, but in no way worth the steep upgrade price.

The increase in price is worth it depending on what value you have for maps and music.  If you don't care for those things, you can hold off, but it's pretty much guaranteed the 955 will have those features and a similar price tag as the 945. 

• It used to be 3 years, but now it has been more like two years.

Forerunner 310XT 2009-04-02
    Forerunner 910XT 2011-10-04
    Forerunner 920XT 2014-10-01
    Forerunner 935 2017-03-29
    Forerunner 945 2019-04-30

So I would expect 955 in 2021-03-XX or 2021-04-XX.

• I've read that 955 might be released this year since someone found it specifically mentioned in the code of Garmin Connect... It was called 955 LTE if I remember correctly. I am looking forward to it! :-) 

• I don't see usage for LTE, it's just power hog.

But yes, there are rumours. But if they would have better GPS, then I would be interested :D 

• I agree about the battery consumption of the LTE, yet keep in mind running in s relatively deserted place (with reception) and that you don't need your cellphone to get in touch with help...

• I have my mobile with me, I can take nice pictures with it and call help.

Of course the problem is that no manufacturer does proper compact phones anymore (I have XZ1 Compact), so if you have those phablets that they nowadays call mobile phones, I can understand if someone does not want to take them with you.

But if the LTE is normally off, so maybe the battery usage isn't so big, but it's more price for a thing I don't much see need for, so at least hopefully there would be LTE and non-LTE versions :) 

If someone is waiting to get the LTE and that would be great, please tell me what is the use case you will need it? So maybe I would understand why LTE is good, not counting that emergency thing and not having phone with you.

Live tracking is probably another use case, but I've never done it, even I have my phone with me, does people use it? I think I've mostly seen that it doesn't work nicely.

What else?

• Hi,

I used melrose S9, but too small...

Now I have Cubot minikingkong, very reliable and usable mini smartphone...

• Interesting phone, but not your daily driver, more like speciality phone, that you would take with you. XZ1 compact can be both. And from a brand that I've never heard.