This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 955 Status

What is the latest timing expectation for the Garmin Forerunner 955? I’m trying to hold off replacing my 935 and am getting anxious.

• I'm attempting to keep myself within a $5/week budget for my watch. So I'm hoping that there's nothing revolutionary on the 955.

What might make me jump the budget would be more health monitoring functions. Basically, if the 955 did blood pressure, I might go for it. At my age, monitoring is a good thing.

I don't expect a better heart monitor. I suspect that we're pushing what you can measure on a wrist. But if the watch / chest strap combo was able to do EKG type analysis (irregular rhythm, etc.), I'd go for it. But that could be done with a new chest strap and a software update on the 945.

Putting a cell phone in the watch seems like overkill. My Note 9 fits very nicely in the small of my back in a belly band type strap. I barely even know it's there. (And on longer runs, I need hydration and gels anyway. So the phone is an easy addition.)

• If you want to monitor Bloodpressure, don't buy a device wich measures at the wrist. Its the worst spot to measure and the least accurate. I know there is the Omron watch doing it.
    There are a lot of other wrist based BP monitors on the market and they are responsible for a lot of false emergency calls.
    The most accurate way is almost the cheapest: get a cuff and a decent Stethoskop. If you want something more advanced, get a cuff for your upper arm.

• I won't be in the market for a new device even if the "955" is still a year away, but it's fun to speculate what new features might be added.

Typically we see features from other new and/or more-advanced products added to the newest gen 9xx Forerunner series.  We saw this with Garmin Pay, Maps, and Music being added to the 945 after debuting on other products.

So in that vein, the only thing I can think of currently within Garmin's lineup is Solar Charging and "Power profiles" both of which are on the newer Fenix series.  So it's a no brainer I think that those will make their way to the next 955, although like others I'd much prefer to see power profiles come to the 945.  I still don't feel like I am maxing out my battery life (I typically get about 6 days between charges).

What else?

Running Power? (included in native data fields)

Longer battery life and larger screen seem like an obvious enhancement, but certainly not groundbreaking.  I'm truly at a loss thinking of anything else that could come to the next gen device.

• Running Power? (included in native data fields)

Thumbsup tone2

• for me a much better screen resolution and a bigger screen himself would be fine, because i wear eyeglasses and sometimes it's hard to see everything without eyeglasses during sport!
    i think a lot of people/users are wearing eyeglasses, especially older ones arround 50 years Nerd

the battery could be pimped when using BLT 5.0 instead of BLT 4.x and of course better processors like new Qualcoms for wearable?

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/wearables
    (
    his versions haven't BLT5, but i read  for sure something in the past month, that Qualcom already work on it

so why no 2 different versions of FR955 lke the S-version as in other models?

i don't need really LTE but native power for Stryd would be fine too!

• I have a Palm pvg100, cost about $60 from eBay and fits in the back pocket of my shorts.

• Neither the cuff/stethoscope or upper arm cuff is convenient for all day 24/7 wear.  That's the whole point of including it in something that's already worn.

• Totaly agree... I went to 945, than realize that the new stuff was unnecessary, sold it and return to the 935... 935 is the king of the kings!

• Yes, I totally agree! 935 is indeed the best sport watch. Additional 945 features are nice but not really necessary.

• 945 is totally worth it for Garmin Pay...it's saved me on a few runs already.