This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

auto pause when stopped during structured workouts (running, training peaks)

i have a forerunner 945, which will not auto pause during run activities started via/under a training peaks structured workout (maybe not any structured workouts, but i've only tried run ones). i can stand still for a long time and it won't pause. I have enabled the auto pause feature under activity settings, run settings. I also tried the custom auto pause setting and it didn't seem to pause.

The feature seems to work under other activities (e.g. xc ski) and when not doing a training peaks structured workout (just a normal run activity). Doing a normal run activity without structured workouts, it does seem to pause almost the instant you stop moving.

Is there a way to make auto pause work during a structured workout, or is this some limitation of either the workout, or of Garmin's. Or do I have a fauly unit? this was suggested as a possibility by a support agent on Garmin chat.

I noticed on some other threads there is some strange interaction between the auto lap feature and structured workouts, but not sure if this might suggest there is also something weird with the auto pause feature (i have turned off auto lapping and don't need it, but definitely would prefer to have auto pause work during structured workouts).

• Because you’ll still get your overall average pace for the complete activity. It comes down to personal choice. I never pause when doing any activity unless it’s for a long stop like coffee. 

• In a structured workout you advance to the next segment by pressing the lap button.

Pausing is done with the start/stop key. Still do not understand your suggestion why lap key should help.

• I continue to wonder why this is the only option or way Garmin allow this to work, particularly when using a run dynamics chest strap. Someone made the point that autopause would be bad if you need to go really slow when recovering from an interval effort or similar, but the run dynamics chest strap ought to very easily know the difference between a complete stop, versus very slow steps/movement. Seems to me like further reason there should be an option to allow auto pause to work under a structured workout if a user wants it to.

• Garmin-Blake

I'm just wondering by what authority I should be taking your answers?

I've since had a separate email from a different technical support person at Garmin saying auto pause should not be affected by structured work outs. They've suggested to try changing several gps and data recording frequency settings.

Thanks.

• Well. I am starting to suspect that Garmin is not putting their brightest staff in support positions. Next suggestion from support will be exchanging your watch. Wanna bet? ;-)

• Is it a news about recent models? I had some old devices and I do not remember this "function".

• Autopause messed up a race when i was running for a pb. During my race i run under a few long underpasses where GPS signal got lost. I didn’t notice it while running focussed in my race. So i thought i had enough time left  tot my goal, but wasn’t. So no autopause for me

• Hi Everyone, the discussion here shouldn't be whether autopause is good or bad during any activity, but the user should be able to decide whether or not he/she wants to use it. 

In this regard I also think this would be a useful and welcome addition.

• Please give us the choice to enable this feature. This is ridiculous...