This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

auto pause when stopped during structured workouts (running, training peaks)

i have a forerunner 945, which will not auto pause during run activities started via/under a training peaks structured workout (maybe not any structured workouts, but i've only tried run ones). i can stand still for a long time and it won't pause. I have enabled the auto pause feature under activity settings, run settings. I also tried the custom auto pause setting and it didn't seem to pause.

The feature seems to work under other activities (e.g. xc ski) and when not doing a training peaks structured workout (just a normal run activity). Doing a normal run activity without structured workouts, it does seem to pause almost the instant you stop moving.

Is there a way to make auto pause work during a structured workout, or is this some limitation of either the workout, or of Garmin's. Or do I have a fauly unit? this was suggested as a possibility by a support agent on Garmin chat.

I noticed on some other threads there is some strange interaction between the auto lap feature and structured workouts, but not sure if this might suggest there is also something weird with the auto pause feature (i have turned off auto lapping and don't need it, but definitely would prefer to have auto pause work during structured workouts).

• If I remember correct, autopause was always disabled during structured workouts. Also on other devices like Edge where I can definitely confirm (had autopause triggered via speed sensor. Never paused the workout when stopped).

• You are correct that a structured workout or Interval workout will disable auto pause. 

• this was suggested as a possibility by a support agent on Garmin chat.

I'm sorry about the miscommunication during your chat with a member of our support team. If the associate misunderstood that you were in a workout, this may explain the response you got. We will look into this contact to see how we can improve interactions like this moving forward. 

• Why? Why shouldn't the user be able to over ride this?

• Maybe you should look into changing the function settings instead ?
  • For *me* auto pause during workouts does not make sense. Imagine you have a workout with time based recovery. In hard interval workouts this recovery could well be standing or very slow walking. If this would trigger an auto pause, the recovery time would be extended or had to be manually unpaused. Just as you manually can pause a workout now, just a little unpleasant.

A solution for all this auto lap (this is for me something that annoyed me) and auto pause stuff during workouts would be a third option:

Enabled (All times)

Enabled (Not during workouts)

Disabled (All times)

• Investigating some options for user selected settings is a good idea, your suggestions look good.

For sure I can see scenarios where its a pain, but I'm not suggesting it is enabled all the time, or by default.

The custom auto pause setting enables one to select the speed at which it kicks in, and this can be set to as slow as you want, so why is that setting still just automatically disabled in structured workouts (as it seems to be now)?

One scenario for me is long distance efforts with important pace targets, then getting interrupted by stopping to pee, crossing roads, lights, or otherwise, which then mess up your pace.

On the autolap one I saw another suggestion on these forums about how Polar do it which is another option for lapping, although that's not as big of a thing for me (based on current training anyway).

• One scenario for me is long distance efforts with important pace targets, then getting interrupted by stopping to pee, crossing roads, lights, or otherwise, which then mess up your pace.

By stopping for any reason during any activity you’ve already compromised your overall average pace. Your moving average pace is still a function of your forward motion. Why not press Lap before and after you stop?

• thanks for the suggestion. A few reasons I guess. I disable the lap button because I live somewhere cold and clothing / gloves frequently interfers with (i.e. presses) the lap button when you don't want to. Another reason is the main reason auto pause exists (i assume) - convenience, and ensuring you don't forget to pause or unpause (or lap, then lap again in the case of your suggestion).

• Why lap key and not start/stop?