This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replacement 945 slow to pick up GPS

Received a replacement due to a button issue. Setup up using Garmin Conect and installed  available maps and updates. 

After wearing a notification came up saying it had updated to 2.7. 

I'm noticing it takes ages for the GPS to lock on. Not sure if it's the replacement watch or the update as the original one generally only took a few seconds. 

When selecting an activity but not starting the red band shows at the top of the screen moving extreamly slow across but stopping just short of finishing and still red. After pressing start takes 30 sec plus to buzz indicating it's locked on.

Anyone else having this problem or or have suggestions as I'm not sure if the problem is the replacement. According to the Garmn email it's a new box d watch. 

• Check the CPE file is current - Settings, System, About scroll through until you get to CPE. If not showing as current then connect to Garmin Express and synch and/or leave outside to get a GPS soak (with an activity selected but not started) for 20 mins or so.

• Thanks phillipshambrook. The CPE was current but the GPS soak fixed it. Picking up quickly now. Hopefully stays that way. Thank you. 

• What is CPE and how do I check if it's current? 

• The CPE file holds the satellite ephemeris data that helps the watch to connect to the satellite quickly. Read the answer to find out how to check itt.

• Ok, mine is current. But GPS lock is still bad :-(

• Yeah, mine's been terrible for a few weeks (2.7 didn't fix it) and I have no idea why.  It will initially show a lock, but then go back to a tiny bar of red, and take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get back to green... and even then, it never actually "beeps" or anything indicating it's ready.  It might be why the pace on my recent runs is just trash right at the start, and seems to get better after the first mile or so.

Between this and the battery drain, it is totally perplexing what on earth they did in firmware 3.9/4.0 to trash this watch this bad.  Mine shipped with 3.3 which was absolutely perfect and I had zero issues with, so this backslide is just insane.  I've never seen this on a Garmin watch before.  

• If you are still having problems after that then perhaps you should reach out to Garmin Support for assistance.

• Hi,

did you figure something out? Because my watch has exactly the same behavior.

I had a chat with the support they said I should delete some files on the watch. After that the first time the fix needed a time but the second it was nuch quicjer. but today again it took over minutes.

Cheers Matthias

• This worked for me from a previous post  

philipshambrook
    +1 philipshambrook 2 months ago
    Check the CPE file is current - Settings, System, About scroll through until you get to CPE. If not showing as current then connect to Garmin Express and synch and/or leave outside to get a GPS soak (with an activity selected but not started) for 20 mins or so.

• I will be locking this thread and asking folks to continue any related discussions here