This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Floor climb

Hi everyone, new to Garmin world.

I train quite a bit on the stairs - do anywhere between 500 and 800 floors per week, in various forms of workouts. Over past year I trained with simple FitBit versa and inconsistent readings and primitive data drove me nuts. I did most of workouts in Run mode and the only relevant data you would get is a heart rate and run pace.

So I got 945 for Xmas and was stoked to finally train in correct activity modes and with all the data I need. So, I finally tried my standard 30 min stair workout last night in my building in Floor Climb mode (which comes preloaded on the watch)... and to my shock nothing worked. The timer was running but no other readouts worked: no floor pace, no floor count, and heart rate never went past 90, which is impossible. Its a 15-floor climb, and 4th and 5th runs I was pushing hard. there is just no way its even possible, after climbing 75 floors. I have done the same work out in the same spot with FitBit Charge 2, Versa and Apple Watch before and with some variations all three showed HR above 140, which makes sense.

So I stopped, and switched to Run mode, thinking I will just do what I did with Versa. But nothing - it showed no distance (0.05 mile in 2 runs up and down, which is 30 floors), pace blipped half way for a split second, and it would still read my HR below 100. So that's a no go either.

Given I don't know the watch that well yet:

- Is there something that need to be calibrated in Barometer settings? Interestingly enough altimeter did read elevation gain, as well as all assents and descents correctly. is there something in watch settings I am missing? It looks like its counting floors in my daily routines but I never bothered to check how accurate.

- Is there another Floor climb mode/app from IQ that works properly? Or at least better than stock one on the watch?

- Is there another mode that I can at least get proper HR, load and other training readings? I don't really need the floor count because I run in the building where I already know floors and steps by heart. The proper pace would be nice, but even that's not critical. Would Cardio or maybe Hike modes give me at least that?

Thank you,

D

• I'm not sure what's up for you there, I used Floor Ciimb previously and my only complaint was it seemed to short me a few "floors" but I attributed that to perhaps the building I was in was non-standard as far as floor height.  HR worked.  I can't recall on cadence, I'd have to look up the workout to see if that was measured and whatever else too.

• I got curious enough that I just went and found the workout.  Hold on as this is going to get a bit weird.

In a view of all my activities, you can see where "Floor Climb" is listed and it shows HR as an average.

But when I click the activity the detail page is blank, no graphs or anything, just summaries and HR is NOT listed.

Just to see the graphs I jumped over to my Sporttracks account (where I aggregate all workouts regardless of source) and it shows a graph including VAM and HR and elevation gain (but no floors data).

Doesn't really help you much but it shows that the app isn't fully fleshed out.  I'd suggest a hard-reset on your watch and try it again to see if that fixes it.

• Very interesting. Thank you for the reply badbri. I might look into SportTracks more as well (haven't heard of it before).

Question: how do you do a hard reset? I have seen it on forum somewhere - which three buttons is it?

Meanwhile, I have downloaded StairStepper+ by fbbbrown (from IQ) while at the office this morning. So while playing with it, in 2 mins, sitting at my desk with the watch off my hand on the table, I made 0 steps, was averaging 124spm and climbed 19 floors! lmao. it was wild - the counters just kept running. Easiest work out ever...

well its actually not funny because I need to find solution to this. it feels horrible to admit that dinky fitbit versa for $100 of craigslist does a better job than $700 945... that hurts

• Hard reset = Holding down the top left button for 10+ seconds.  Watch will reboot.  This tends to correct issues encountered for different reasons.