This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Watch display cracked in front of me without external force.

My 945 is less than 20 days old. The screen cracked in front me when I was having dinner at my dinner table. There was no external force other than my fingers. Can’t believe the screen can be that fragile. I have 3 other Garmin over the years and never have one cracked even when I did abuse them during a workout. However, Garmin don’t believe it is a quality issue in this instance and refuse to do anything about it. I am sending it back to Garmin for a physical examination but interested to know what do you guys think about this issue and if you have encountered any similar issues. Thanks.

• Unbelievable! Amazing! Miraculous!

The screen is not that fragile. if it was we'd all be having issues. Good luck persuading Garmin it's not been user induced.

• On the picture it looks more like a scratch in the surface than a crack?

• It is not a scratch. It is a crack underneath. One going down to the back button and one going up to the start-stop button. It is actually very smooth on the surface if you run your finger on top of the cracks.

• If Garmin considers that a physical damage it will be hard to proof it has been a manufacturing issue. Good luck and hopefully Garmin will replace it under warranty / goodwill.

• My personal experience with the 945 screen is that is is really hard to scratch even if treated quite badly. In my opinion it is virtually impossible to scratch or crack it by accident only using your hands without applying tremendous force.

Nevertheless, this does not look like a crack at all to me. Did you try to clean that mark with some alcohol detergent? It might also just be some dirt on the glass rather than a physical damage. Hard to tell from the picture, but I would assume this is just some sort of dirt marking which might go away if swiped carefully with alcohol.

• The screen cracked in front me when I was having dinner at my dinner table

Are you saying it literally cracked in front of you while eating, or you noticed the screen at that time and it's your assumption it cracked with no force?  It does look like a scratch and not a crack from the photos. You may have a difficult time convincing Garmin it's a manufacturers defect, but you never know. Best of luck. 

• Well, this happened to me the morning of the Chicago marathon this year - I was a volunteer handing out water to all of the runners at mile 18 for about 6 hours. I didn't bump into anything etc .. I had a 230 for 2+ years without any scratches etc. None of my other watches have had any scratches over the years - I'm very careful. It looks like a scratch to me, though it's totally smooth to the touch, but I'm not sure when/how (other than I'm certain it happened that morning).

Just another data point I guess.

• At least in the first half year Garmin is the one who needs to prove it was not a manufacturing issue. At least that is what my local law in Austria would state. Don't know if this is global standard.

• Well, Garmin’s assessment of the watch is “the scratch on the display would not be classed as a manufacturing fault and therefore will not be covered under warranty.” they offered me $175.44 to have it replaced.