This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cycling doesn't count towards Intensity Minutes

Hello,

I noticed that for quite some time my Garmin 945 doesn't consider cycling towards the counted intensity minutes. As described in Garmins Helpfiles, everytime I walk for more than 10 minutes the intensity minutes are calculated. When doing a run with the built-in app, intensity minutes are also calculated.

The same should also happen when cycling. I cycle everyday to work, which is detected by MoveIQ with around 15 minutes for one way. That should count towards intensity minutes but does not at all. The same when doing a MTB workout for 2h with the built-in app. No intensity minutes at the end of the day. It seems like cycling is not considered anymore, which it should.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Top Replies

• Which workaround is that? 

When I get on my bike to work I start the Indoor Cycling activity and when i arrive I stop and delete that activity. Heartrate is then tracked as accurate as can be…

All Replies

• Do you mean without recording an activity? MoveIQ never ever worked for me on either my old VivoActive HR or the 945. I just start an activity and it's fine.

Also, intensity minutes are always recorded for me when my heart rate goes up, regardless of what I'm going.

• Cycling while in activity does count for my intensity minutes.

I had several times when cycling while not in activity was recorded, yet, I cannot fully answer if it was counted against the intensity minutes.

• I had several times when cycling while not in activity was recorded,

Same here.  I also don't recall if intensity minutes were counted, but it's not a concern for me.  If I care to track intensity minutes, I'll make sure an activity was started so I get all the data for that activity.

my insensitivity minutes.

You should work on that.  Relaxed   I hate that auto-spell, auto-correct feature.  It's bitten me in the ass on several occasions too.

• For me cycling doesn't count usually count towards intensity minutes, or way less than it should be when the watch is not recording the activity (like Edge doing recording). That's a well known issue affecting 945, most recent thread here. It's recording fine when 945 is recording the activity.

• OK, so I am not the only one with that problem. I did get some intensity minutes last night when cycling back from work (without recording an activity).

My main problem is that I don't get any intensity minutes even when recording an activity. Last Sunday I recorded a MTB ride over 2h and got not intensity minutes at all and this morning i recorded my ride to work and still got nothing.

• Look at your HR graph for those last two activities.  For intensity minutes to count, you have to be in your zone and stay in that zone for 10+ for them to count.  If you drop out of that hr zone before the 10 minutes, the timer starts over.  You never stated, but I'll assume you're using the oHRM.  It's possible, especially while MTB, the watch adjusted on your wrist and it's not giving you a correct reading and "thinks" you left your zone starting the timer over again.  If this isn't the case, I'm not sure what's going on.

• Cycling and MoveIQ is a big mess currently! My heart rate never gets picked up when cycling and not starting an activity. Starting an activity (indoor cycling for example) fixes the heartrate immediately. You can then later on stop the activity and throw the result away: your heartrate does count toward your activity minutes anyway. I opened up a ticket with Garmin about this problem and they confirmed there is a problem with battery management that is too strict and their engineers are looking into it. So I really hope this will be fixed along the line. For now I use the workaround I explained above and am happy with the results.

• For now I use the workaround I explained above and am happy with the results.

Which workaround is that? 

• Are you sure this 10 minutes behaviour is also applying when recording a workout?

Because in theory this would pose some problems when doing several smaller sprints with slower relaxed running between them. Of course you are right, I used the HRM from the watch which looks fine for my last activities (running and cycling). Booth activities are supposed to use the same zones in the settings. In could be a problem with the HR not being detected without interruption but I doubt that.