This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Survey for using instant vs step pace on the workout screen

As discussed here: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/167532/bug-in-the-interval-workout-screen-with-pace-as-target-the-watch-doesn-t-use-instant-pace the garmin devices show the average pace during a pace-based workout step.

This can lead to issues as I describe here: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-5-plus-series/172039/pace-target-data-screen-showing-not-actual-pace .

For a meaningful support during the workout (i.e. to keep the target pace), showing the step pace does not make sense (I-our-HO), as it does not give indications if you are currently too slow or two fast. Additionally, on the workout screen on the watch, it is not indicated that what the watch shows is an average/step pace and not the instant pace.

Garmin apparently thinks that step pace would make more sense, probably as instant pace frim GPS is tricky, as not very stable. I agree, the "instant pace" would need to be averaged over the last 10s maybe, but not more. To use the step pace might work for a 30s workout, but if the step is several minutes, obviously, the step pace is not a good indicator if you should go faster of slow down.

We (, myself and hopefully others) think that Garmin should let the user chose on what is displayed on the workout screen (gauge).

This is to find out, what the other Garmin users think. Thank you for participating!

• IMHO it's the closest that you can get with GPS - but I agree that 10s are already too long. I guess to be responsive, the avg. should be at most be made for 5s, maybe 4s...

I don't know, where the sweet spot lies between fast response and accuracy. However, how it is currently implemented, is not meaningful. 

• It should be an selectable option.

• before I spent some valuable time and found this discussion I was absolutely sure it's a bug and even wanted to switch from garmin device because of this... It really has to be fixed or made optional otherwise training gauge is not informative/reliable

• Just adding my voice to the frustrations with this.

Just started a new training block using the 8020 principles and came upon this issue this morning running 1min Z4 / 2min Z1 on off and the pace info - and audio alerts being all over the place.

• You're being a bit pedantic here IMO - it's more "instant" than averaging over a mile lap though, right?

The author's intent is pretty clear.

Maybe you'd be happier with "current pace"?

• BTW - the GPS pace is already very smoothed (at least on the FR945 I have), so additional smoothing would not be required.

Check out this pace graph from a run where my stryd got disconnected at the start of one of the intervals, you can see the huge difference in smoothing when it drops back to using the watch GPS pace, then switches back when the stryd gets reconnected.

• I really thought that this screen was my speed meter that tells me if I should speed up or slow down. I messed half of my last workout running too fast just to get the pace shown to wanted level.

Think if cars would have speed meter that tells the average from the start of the trip. Wouldn't make any sense.

• I run on a very hilly course and usually FR945 shows my current pace as slower than average, while average drops down. When I load the training my pace is sometimes 90s/km faster than what the watch showed...

Please fix this...