This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Survey for using instant vs step pace on the workout screen

As discussed here: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/running-multisport/f/forerunner-945/167532/bug-in-the-interval-workout-screen-with-pace-as-target-the-watch-doesn-t-use-instant-pace the garmin devices show the average pace during a pace-based workout step.

This can lead to issues as I describe here: https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-5-plus-series/172039/pace-target-data-screen-showing-not-actual-pace .

For a meaningful support during the workout (i.e. to keep the target pace), showing the step pace does not make sense (I-our-HO), as it does not give indications if you are currently too slow or two fast. Additionally, on the workout screen on the watch, it is not indicated that what the watch shows is an average/step pace and not the instant pace.

Garmin apparently thinks that step pace would make more sense, probably as instant pace frim GPS is tricky, as not very stable. I agree, the "instant pace" would need to be averaged over the last 10s maybe, but not more. To use the step pace might work for a 30s workout, but if the step is several minutes, obviously, the step pace is not a good indicator if you should go faster of slow down.

We (, myself and hopefully others) think that Garmin should let the user chose on what is displayed on the workout screen (gauge).

This is to find out, what the other Garmin users think. Thank you for participating!

• Instant pace is too reliant on GPS which can be hit or miss. I no longer train this way and changed to running power and prefer this method much more. 

• except you cant use running power as a target for a workout due to it being a CIQ field only and not natively supported. Ultimately I feel like it needs to be selectable, there are some cases where I would like it to be the step pace and others where instant pace is more desirable. Take the case of a 2 hour slow pace run, if I have a band of even 30sec/mile of green pace, and I spend the first hour running at the top end of that band, I could spend a ton of time well below the allowable band of pace before it would pull my step average down below the pace band.

• except you cant use running power as a target for a workout due to it being a CIQ field only and not natively supported.

I'm aware of this. That's why I voted for I don't use pace based workouts. I was just providing an explanation why I don't and what I use in lieu of pace based workouts. 

• Take the case of a 2 hour slow pace run, if I have a band of even 30sec/mile of green pace, and I spend the first hour running at the top end of that band, I could spend a ton of time well below the allowable band of pace before it would pull my step average down below the pace band.

Yes, this is exactly my point! :-) trying pace-based workouts with my Polar M400 (which uses instant pace) I see that it's tricky, but I believe with a 5-10s average it should work fine.

• with a 5-10s average the 'instant pace' would be fine. Instant pace is ok for the short intervals and for the longer workouts pace based i in general use an average pace on a different screen so yes it is a pity that the gauge screen is not used that often 

• The graph  of the percentage of votes is nice, well done !

Two notes:

1- I noticed that if one user sees this post without logging in, he can't see the graph of the survey. There is a way to make the graph of the results always visible? If one is not signed in, it appears : "The Poll Summary with identifier '1818ec80-d286-4b9c-97ab-c5083e49e35e' could not be found. "

2- There is a way to make this post sticky at the top for at least one month?

• Thanks! :-)

1: I noticed the same... I guess it's due to the forum software, no idea if it can be changed.

2: this would be great, but need to be done by an admin Former Member ... also in the other sub-forums, where I posted it ideally...

• GPS is not accurate enough to give you a meaningful "instant" pace averaged over 10s, it's not Garmin's fault, it's physics...

• Instant pace would be great. Using a foot-pod (stryd), my instant pace is not hit-and-miss, as it does not rely on GPS. For me I want to be able to see instant pace.

Why not simply allow customization of the structured workout page? Then everybody can put the infos that work for them up there - and people that like it as it is can leave it at defaults.

• Totally agree. Selectable would be ideal. If that's not possible, use (averaged) instant pace. For Stryd you can select the duration for this average, maybe Garmin could do this, too.